The Olympics Page 81

Quote: Harridan @ August 4 2012, 8:18 PM BST

Watched some of the cycling in a cafe and I can't help feeling there should be some way for us to see how amazingly fast they are actually going. I seem to remember someone once saying that all of these races should have a non-athlete running along too for comparison - can we do that? Can someone sort that our for me?

Cycling in a cafe?

I only saw it in the Velodrome.

I'd like to have seen it round the bacon sandwiches, in and out of the cream buns ! That must've been great !

Go Team GB.
Or Team GB & NI as I like to call it, not being a racist and all that.

Quote: Harridan @ August 4 2012, 2:25 PM BST

This is so heartbreaking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19124776

Poor guys are grief-stricken after coming second. I've never seen people react like that outside of responding to a death.

Just shows the high standard they set themselves and they were I think favourites. The sheer physical exhaustion rowers feel possibly had more to do with it. They might be feeling better today, a silver's a silver! Best GB rowing performance ever, there was a private duel on between them and the cyclists for the most medals here, not sure who won that, must have been very close. Maybe more medals for the rowers but more golds for the riders?

What a shame the football team couldn't join in the medal fun. :( Have to say our football's got to a very sad state when we're beaten by South Korea! That should never happen.

Quote: Harridan @ August 4 2012, 8:18 PM BST

Watched some of the cycling in a cafe and I can't help feeling there should be some way for us to see how amazingly fast they are actually going. I seem to remember someone once saying that all of these races should have a non-athlete running along too for comparison - can we do that? Can someone sort that our for me?

Yes I agree totally with this. Basically, unless we are there, we can't. This is all to do with the stupid sports filming policies of broadcasters. It's been complained about for years now that we don't get a real idea of their speed, whether it be racing cars or horses or bikes. They have a technical term for the way all races must be filmed, it's a sort of standard rule in race filming.

If you want to see the real thrilling speed of a race on screen then you need static camera shots on the fastest bits of track. TV sports broadcaters don't allow this at all now, sadly because of the risk of it looking like they've lost track of the race! Really. To see the thrill of speed in sports races you have to watch sports movies like Grand Prix, Le Mans and others. Totally different and way more thrilling.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 5 2012, 3:48 AM BST

Go Team GB.
Or Team GB & NI as I like to call it, not being a racist and all that.

Why isn't it just Team UK?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 5 2012, 8:53 AM BST

What a shame the football team couldn't join in the medal fun. :( Have to say our football's got to a very sad state when we're beaten by South Korea! That should never happen.

Particularly after the Scots and the Irish gave us a chance by refusing to participate. Just a shame we had to include some token taffs...

Didn't all our best (male) footballers say they couldn't be arsed to take part, or that they were too tired or something? That's why we didn't win. They're obviously not quite earning enough.

Luckily our female ones weren't so lazy.

I think lady footballers are just glad to have a just chance to get out of the house.

I think lady footballers are just glad to have a just chance to get out of the house.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 5 2012, 8:53 AM BST

As the highest paid sportsmen in Team GB, couldn't they send themselves to private school before the next Olympics?

Latest sailing results-

Britain took gold, Denmark took silver and the Somalians took a middle aged couple from Weymouth.

Quote: youngian @ August 5 2012, 12:17 PM BST

Latest sailing results-

Britain took gold, Denmark took silver and the Somalians took a middle aged couple from Weymouth.

Laughing out loud

BREAKING NEWS - Several pre-Olympic cynics have now tested positive.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 5 2012, 1:37 PM BST

:D

I count myself as one of them.

It's great to see the way these sportspeople manage to combine driving ambition with genuine respect and, dare I say it love for their opponents.

It's what the world would be like without politicians....

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 5 2012, 1:37 PM BST

Laughing out loud

This cynic has been manipulated by the BBC News website into thinking that sports news is headline news and keeps reading the wrong bit!

International Alopecia Day 4 August 2012

How spooky is that?

:O

Come on Andy

*shouted in a very high pitch voice when everyone else has shut up*

He's only gone 'n' done it.