The Olympics Page 76

Quote: zooo @ August 2 2012, 6:20 PM BST

*cough* chip on shoulder *cough*
;)

haha! Just what I was thinking

Quote: zooo @ August 2 2012, 6:20 PM BST

*cough* chip on shoulder *cough*
;)

Not a chip, just an observation - leading television news story is about the double canoe slalom. With all the best will in the world, the number of people who participate in canoe slalom every weekend compared to those who go clay pigeon shooting is miniscule.

Tiny interview with Peter Wilson's parents and girlfriend, long interviews with the rowing winner and his family. This is a bizarre agenda that only makes sense if a political bias is attached.

Ah, I've seen them mention the shooting gold in several places. They keep showing the bit where he hugs his daddy and cries.

This cycling is exciting!

Quote: zooo @ August 2 2012, 6:38 PM BST

Ah, I've seen them mention the shooting gold in several places. They keep showing the bit where he hugs his daddy and cries.

As someone who has been watching a tonne of Olympic coverage, the shooting has received just about nothing in terms of screen time. Did you know there was a 25 year old female barmaid taking part in the pistol shooting, our first competitor since the Dunblane Massacre in 1996?

No, there is collusion afoot based on media bias and Britain's pussyfication on all things firearm related.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 6:44 PM BST

No, there is collusion afoot based on media bias and Britain's pussyfication on all things firearm related.

Yeh namby pamby political correctness. You can't even watch a Batman film tooled up these days.

Well I'm one of the people who hates guns and pisses RC off, but I personally have no bias against clay shooting whatsoever. I mean he was shooting discs that exploded into pink dust for crying out loud! It was ace.

I've just come back from ExCel watching Women's Foil Fending Team event, in which GB finished 8th (There were 9 teams taking part).

What I learnt :

a) GB sucks at Fencing.
b) Odds are if you win the first 3 minute bout, you're gonna win the match.
c) Always read the small print about bringing Photo Id.
d) Failing c) make sure you find a nice understanding box office lady, who can instantly see that you are more dumbass than terrorist and let you have your ticket.

What I didn't learn :

A complete understanding of the rules of Fencing, still not 100% sure of what was going on,.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ August 2 2012, 6:59 PM BST

c) Always read the small print about bringing Photo Id.
d) Failing c) make sure you find a nice understanding box office lady, who can instantly see that you are more dumbass than terrorist and let you have your ticket.

Hurray for nice lady!

Quote: dannyjb1 @ August 2 2012, 6:59 PM BST

A complete understanding of the rules of Fencing, still not 100% sure of what was going on,.

I think you try and stab people with your sword before they stab you, but don't quote me.

How was it logistically - the crowds, travelling and finding things, etc.?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 7:13 PM BST

I think you try and stab people with your sword before they stab you, but don't quote me.

How was it logistically - the crowds, travelling and finding things, etc.?

I got the stabby partm but you have to have "right of way" or not, and sometimes when you stub someone you get a red light, a green light or a white late. It 'seemed' that if you get a red or green hit and the other person gets a white one then, you win. If one of you get's a red and the other a green then I have no firgging idea how they worked out the points? Any fencers on here?

Anyway logistically was lovely, VERY well organised getting there, LOADS ofr volunteers to help out, 10 minutes queueing for a security. No 'liquids' of course because of 'the security risk' (nothing to do with the £2.30 for a bottle of coke inside the venue).

Food was bloody expensive and equally as awful.

Crowds were fine? Venue was fairly well filled, so much so that twice I had to point out someone was sitting in my seat.

With my ticket I got a fee travel card for the day too, which was nice.

I have my very little slice of history and so rubbish out of focus photos.

D

Quote: dannyjb1 @ August 2 2012, 8:21 PM BST

Any fencers on here?

Wave

Touched (or should that be 'touche'd) on county level in the early 70s but only fenced wired a couple of times. Some of the things you mention I didn't come across.

But what I can say is that, to my mind, it is not a spectator sport. Often it's too quick hence people not knowing what's going on.

I was taught early on that in fencing there is always an answer to whatever your opponent does. You will have heard of parry/thrust. It's thinking about it in time which happens in 10ths of a second.

A great sport to take part in but to watch? No, even I can't do that !

Live tweeted a couple of GB games from the stadium @BussellComedy. What am I like?

Quote: David Bussell @ August 2 2012, 10:10 PM BST

Live tweeted a couple of GB games from the stadium @BussellComedy. What am I like?

Doesn't your wife run the Olympics or something?