The Olympics Page 6

I don't get football at the Olympics. I thought you could only compete in events if you were not a professional sportsman? And why is there no team GB?

There's no Team GB because the lesser countries think it would compromise their status as independent, sovereign footballing bodies.

anyone see the BBC three advert for olympics? had Monkey Pigsy and Sandy was wicked!!

I think those are across the whole Beeb, Gav.

Quote: PhQnix @ August 7 2008, 10:27 AM BST

There's no Team GB because the lesser countries think it would compromise their status as independent, sovereign footballing bodies.

But that makes no sense - for professional football they are, but why are the footballing associations like FIFA getting involved in the amature side of things?

Even at an amateur level football is still tied to the F.A. Besides the Olympics aren't amateur teams for football, they're just Under-23 teams, with three older players.

Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland fear that entering a combined team would lead to Fifa forcibly combining the four home nations at all levels. Really Fifa should give them assurances that this won't happen, but Sepp Blatter is a bit of a moron and he seems to have a desire to mess with British football as much as possible. It would only really affect Scotland severely. Wales' best teams already play in the English leagues, N. Ireland don't really have the set up that we do but Scotland, obviously, have a strong footballing heritage and strong teams.

Football should be abolished. That seems like a fair and sensible resolution to this argument.

As for FIFA, they should f**k off. A bunch of frogs should not be allowed to run a sport which was supposedly invented in Britain. Countries should be allowed to run their own sports independently.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 11:02 AM BST

As for FIFA, they should f**k off. A bunch of frogs should not be allowed to run a sport which was supposedly invented in Britain. Countries should be allowed to run their own sports independently.

FIFA is a worldwide organisation. It's just the name which is in French. :P

Countries are allowed to run their own sports, but FIFA acts as the regulatory body for football at an international level, someone has to arrange the international tournaments in a fair and concise manner. We'd never have another World Cup if FIFA was dissolved, you might not mind but I think most football fans would be annoyed at that. :|

Mind? I would be f**king ecstatic! :P

As for the name, it's the same difference! It's a retarded language which, by all rights, should have died out centuries ago.

I see that they're based in Switzerland though. The land of cuckoo clocks, chocolate, and gold stolen after the fall of Nazi Germany. Oh, and that big thing that they reckon's going to kill us all. \o/

I've always wondered Aaron, where does your irrational anger at France come from? Has a French girl ever given you syphilis?

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 11:08 AM BST

Mind? I would be f**king ecstatic! :P

Language, please. If I want to hear swearing, I'll go and hang around the local school playground.

It's not irrational at all.

And I'm not French, so no, I don't sleep around and get syphilis from anyone. Let alone a Frenchie. The thought alone... Sick

Quote: Curt @ August 7 2008, 6:09 AM BST

If synchronized swimming can be considered a sport...then why not.

I remember at the last Olympics, seeing, what seemed like a dancing event, for horses! So why not people?

Quote: catskillz @ August 7 2008, 1:06 PM BST

I remember at the last Olympics, seeing, what seemed like a dancing event, for horses! So why not people?

Training a horse to dance is quite impressive.

Quote: NickTheDon @ August 5 2008, 4:20 PM BST

I'm looking forward to the boxing, think we've got a good chance of a couple of medals there. Watch out for Frankie Gavin - the first British Amateur World Champion, one of the favourites for gold.

Oh yeah great pick there Nick, couldn't even manage to get his weight right so now he is being sent home! Someone needs their arse kicking for that one. I mean what has been the cost over the past four years to get him to the Olympics, trainers, dieticians, coaches not to mention the flights! Angry