Cannon and Ball

Ok, so I went to see a play/farce thing starring these two gents tonight, and loved every single moment of it. I'm just too young to have ever seen any of their shows when they were on TV regularly, so it was a delight.

If it hadn't been the last show of an 11-week tour, I would encourage anyone who can get tickets to go and see it. The play itself is called Big Bad Mouse, but the production used the story as a base framework for Tommy and Bobby to work from, with much ad-libbing and sparring with the audience (although obviously moreso than normal, it being the last night). The superb supporting cast included Sue Hodge (Mimi Labonq in 'Allo 'Allo!), and were barely managing to keep themselves from bursting out laughing through most of the show.

An absolutely excellent evening, and another fan recruited for them.

Did anyone else, perchance, see the show at any point? What did/do you think of Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball?

Show the love. Or the hate. :)

I saw them when I was about 8, and thought they were ace.

Good solid end of the peir Saturday night TV stuff.

They're both born again Christians having recovered from being terrible piss heads on ITV exies.

Were they on that Celebs in the Jungle show last year?...

Aaron,

When I was a telly-head I saw them loads of times, probably most of their TV shows.

I think I saw them in Sheffield live as well either at a Working Mens Club or at The Fiests Nightclub. Not sure.

I never thought Cannon & Ball had the class of Morecambe & Wise but they were likeable and well loved, up't North at least.

Frankie xxx

Aaron, you got kisses!

I think my Jungle celebs might have been Little and Large...

Yeah but they won't be fulfilled, rest assured Aaron!

Quote: zooo @ August 3 2008, 11:51 AM BST

Aaron, you got kisses!

First time for everything! :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 3 2008, 12:00 PM BST

Yeah but they won't be fulfilled, rest assured Aaron!

Phew!

And yes zooo, according to the programme they were in the jungle thing.. (C&B, not L&L.)

When I was a little kid I thought they were the funniest double act ever. Now I'm a grown up I see their massive limitations. Likeable, though.

They were absolutely massive when I was a kid in the 80s. Their film "The Boys In Blue" was a remake of the Will Hay classic "Ask A Policeman" and its theme tune is often played before the match at Goodison Park. TRUFAX.

They do a show on the Christian circuit. Syd Little's a born-again too, but Eddie Large is having none of it apparently.

Apparently L&L don't talk to each other anymore.

Obviously C & B have never been cutting edge, but Bobby Ball is obviously a very talented physical comedian, e.g. when he gets angry with people, and starts threatening to head-butt them.

By the way, I was watching them on Youtube, the other day, performing a sketch, with Rik Mayall, of all people, from about 1982.

Quote: Aaron @ August 3 2008, 1:29 AM BST

Ok, so I went to see a play/farce thing starring these two gents tonight, and loved every single moment of it. I'm just too young to have ever seen any of their shows when they were on TV regularly, so it was a delight.

If it hadn't been the last show of an 11-week tour, I would encourage anyone who can get tickets to go and see it. The play itself is called Big Bad Mouse, but the production used the story as a base framework for Tommy and Bobby to work from, with much ad-libbing and sparring with the audience (although obviously moreso than normal, it being the last night). The superb supporting cast included Sue Hodge (Mimi Labonq in 'Allo 'Allo!), and were barely managing to keep themselves from bursting out laughing through most of the show.

An absolutely excellent evening, and another fan recruited for them.

Did anyone else, perchance, see the show at any point? What did/do you think of Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball?

Show the love. Or the hate. :)

Was Big Bad Mouse written by Eric Sykes. He certainly toured Britain with it, but did he write it?

No.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 5 2008, 10:25 AM BST

Syd Little's a born-again too, but Eddie Large is having none of it apparently.

Good for Eddie! ;)

All I can think of is the Fish and Cushion sketch from Mitchell and Webb.
Who are these people?