The Prisoner Page 2

As for The Prisoner... loved this series too but the first time I saw it was when BBC Four showed it about three years ago.

Quote: Rupert Nicolson @ August 17 2008, 11:10 PM BST

As for The Prisoner... loved this series too but the first time I saw it was when BBC Four showed it about three years ago.

Yeah - welcome Rupert.

One of the main appeals of these shows though was 60s Britain. It did have a feel that you couldn't recreate now.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 24 2008, 1:33 AM BST

Neither could really work as remakes although I did watch and enjoy to an extent the New Avengers with Joana Lumley.

Talking of cult shows with Lumley, have they ever reshown 'Saphire and Steel' with her whatshisname? For some reason I remember it fondly from my childhood. 1980's show, sci-fi, made absolutely no sense to me at the time?

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 18 2008, 12:11 AM BST

Talking of cult shows with Lumley, have they ever reshown 'Saphire and Steel' with her whatshisname? For some reason I remember it fondly from my childhood. 1980's show, sci-fi, made absolutely no sense to me at the time?

David McCallum from the Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I never really saw this for some reason.

(Cheers)

I can't remember that it made any sense whatsoever and each episode seemed to be made for about ten quid, but remember watching it avidly, as being kids in the 80's beggars couldn't be choosers.

Quote: Rupert Nicolson @ August 17 2008, 11:06 PM BST

Probably a bit late to add to this thread now... but I say the same - a new series couldn't be the same - they never equal the originals these repeat series. Didn't think much to the Avengers movie. There's only one Patrick MacNee let alone the others in this memorable series. Wave

Pretty hot and also Mrs James Bond.

Quote: roscoff @ August 18 2008, 2:11 AM BST

She was sooooo the best one.

Yep!!

You know the very first Steed sidekick was a guy. Dr. David Keel. Then there was Cathy Gale, then Emma Peel, then Tara King, Then Mike Gambit and Purdey.

I love it so.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ August 18 2008, 2:17 AM BST

You know the very first Steed sidekick was a guy. Dr. David Keel. Then there was Cathy Gale, then Emma Peel, then Tara King, Then Mike Gambit and Purdey.

I love it so.

Yes. Yes you do.

Sorry! But they just don't make shows like they used to. I hardly watch tv these days!

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ August 18 2008, 2:22 AM BST

Sorry! But they just don't make shows like they used to. I hardly watch tv these days!

There was a certain naivety which programmes lack today in their search for realism.

'The Prisoner' was a great show. I saw it first time around. It was a sort of continuation of 'Danger Man'. This is what happended to John Drake when he resigned...

There is still plenty of scope for making great TV these days I would have thought, but seemingly not with the main TV channels or production companies though. What a pity.

I happened to be watching some 60s TV over the weekend. Danger Man, starring McGoohan, which I just about remember from some 70s repeats, and some Avengers with Honor Blackman, which I hadn't seen before. Really enjoyed them, you don't get scripts that good these days.

Quote: roscoff @ August 18 2008, 2:11 AM BST

Now you're talking. There is nothing like a Dame.

I have all of her Avengers on DVD. She was just sooooooo cool!