Surreal comedies? Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ July 18 2008, 1:08 AM BST

It's quite clearly a conspiracy against the decent white man.

Laughing out loud

But what about the indecent one? I think that must be Benny Hill. Oh look - we've come full circle!

Ha beetcha to the obvious punch!

Gandhi brought the mightiest empire to it's knees, and was always ready for a toga party.

Cliff Richard is from India.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towd9vZWDJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDYNSrTlvk&NR=1

I can't comment on Spike Milligan having not seen much of his work, but it always used to get on my nerves the way he banged on about depression all the time. And we all know depression is a made up illness.

Also, has anybody mentioned Cows yet?

If anybody has mentioned Cows yet, it will presumably only be to remind everybody how f**king awful it was.

Not sure in this thread, but yes, it always gets a mention from me. :)

Ripping Yarns, The Paul Merton Show and Is It Bill Bailey? are a couple more to add to the list!

Big Train of course, in more recent times.

Some of the best comedy moments I've seen have been surreal. Some shows or commedians though don't seem to handle it very well, perhaps thinking all you need to do is show something random and people will laugh. It's a very fine line to tread imo. Make a surreal sketch and it will either be extremely funny or just leave you sitting there thinking 'WTF?'.

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ July 23 2008, 12:47 AM BST

Ripping Yarns, The Paul Merton Show and Is It Bill Bailey? are a couple more to add to the list!

I loved ripping Yarns but was it really surreal?

Quote: sootyj @ July 23 2008, 2:33 AM BST

I loved ripping Yarns but was it really surreal?

I'd say so. It was based on fantastical stories so I think that puts it in the ball park. And for my four penneth, I never found Benny Hill the least bit funny when I was a kid or now. I liked Q though and thought it was good. It had its dodgy areas I suppose but I was too young to know. Judging things in hindsight is a mistake because your not in the era it was produced. I'm pretty sure I didn't find Benny Hill sexist 'cos I wouldn't have had a bloody clue what that was. Just not funny to me.

Quote: roscoff @ July 23 2008, 3:21 AM BST

I'm pretty sure I didn't find Benny Hill sexist 'cos I wouldn't have had a bloody clue what that was. Just not funny to me.

Isms are down to individual perception anyway. Most people's views of specific events or cases become skewed by common consensus, most commonly after said event, but often during. Pity really. A master of his craft, was Benny.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2008, 10:08 AM BST

Isms are down to individual perception anyway. Most people's views of specific events or cases become skewed by common consensus, most commonly after said event, but often during. Pity really. A master of his craft, was Benny.

Did he ever have sex with a woman?

No one knows. As far as I'm aware no one has ever claimed to have bedded him, but then not all ladies - or indeed gentlemen - are kiss-and-tell. General consensus is that he was a "confirmed bachelor", much similar to Heath in many ways.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2008, 11:02 AM BST

No one knows. As far as I'm aware no one has ever claimed to have bedded him, but then not all ladies - or indeed gentlemen - are kiss-and-tell. General consensus is that he was a "confirmed bachelor", much similar to Heath in many ways.

With Heath (and I assume you're talking about Ted) "confirmed bachelor" was a euphemism for gay. As far as Benny's concerned, I don't think he was gay, just a bit weird. A sort of man-child.