Surreal comedies?

Lab Rats got me thinking about surreal comedies - sitcom or otherwise - that there have been. Off the top of my head I can think of The Young Ones, The Mighty Boosh, The Goodies, Monty Python and Graham Linehan's. Any others? And was Monthy Python's the first? Or was there something before that?

Spike Milligan was before Python; and I'm pretty sure his Q sketch show first aired before the first Python series too. I'm sure I read one of them saying that when they were developing Python, Q came on tv and they realised Milligan had beaten them to the punch.

One of my favourites was the sketch show Absolutely, on Channel 4 in late '80's and early '90's. Surreal, very silly and it holds up better than the majority of the tv Python.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 17 2008, 1:49 PM BST

One of my favourites was the sketch show Absolutely, on Channel 4 in late '80's and early '90's. Surreal, very silly and it holds up better than the majority of the tv Python.

Agree about a lot of TV python not ageing too well. Some of it is almost embarrassing to watch.

Quote: chipolata @ July 17 2008, 2:04 PM BST

Agree about a lot of TV python not ageing too well. Some of it is almost embarrassing to watch.

Yep. Myself and flatmate spent the last few months watching series 1-3 of Python and, frankly, a lot of it was hard going. I would normally put it down to a programme not ageing well but I can't imagine some of it being that funny at the time (eg. an entire episode where the central premise is everbody turning into Scottish men. Oh dear). Always thought the best examples of Python were the records and films.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 17 2008, 1:44 PM BST

Spike Milligan was before Python; and I'm pretty sure his Q sketch show first aired before the first Python series too. I'm sure I read one of them saying that when they were developing Python, Q came on tv and they realised Milligan had beaten them to the punch.

Yes but Q was old fashioned racist, and Benny Hill pervy.

It's harder to filter out the good bits.

That said my PC soul screams in agony every time I laugh at the Pakistani Daleks, how can something so wrong be so funny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q

Quote: sootyj @ July 17 2008, 2:29 PM BST

Yes but Q was old fashioned racist, and Benny Hill pervy.

It's harder to filter out the good bits.

"Yes, but"-?

The question isn't whether the actual show is any good, or is 'racist', just whether it existed; and it did. It was a surreal show, and it started before Python. Python itself could be very 'Benny Hill' pervy, I think.

I jsut said I found it parts very funny.

Quote: sootyj @ July 17 2008, 2:39 PM BST

I just said I found it parts very funny.

I was just pointing out that the way you started your post suggested that Q somehow should be discounted as it could be ropey/sexist/racist/dogist/whatever-ist. Perhapsthat's not what you meant, but its what your post was saying, so I was just saying all those things may be true, but it was a surreal show, and it was around before Python; thereby answering the two questions of the original post. All friends?

Indeed, but Pyhton's greater longevity may be due to it being less sexist/racist.

In the same way that Benny Hill has been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Tragedy for one of TV's greatest clowns.

Quote: sootyj @ July 17 2008, 2:45 PM BST

While not wanting to go off topic, I don't think he has been consigned to the dustbin of history. True, his shows aren't repeated on TV nowadays, but neither are countless other stars who were huge in their day. And regardless of whether people still watch him, people nonetheless know who he was and have a good idea about his comedy.

I meant that lots of channels will show python reruns, but few mainstreams will show Hill.

I meant in terms of him being viewed.

And yes he was funny.

Quote: sootyj @ July 17 2008, 2:45 PM BST

Indeed, but Pyhton's greater longevity may be due to it being less sexist/racist.

Tragedy for one of TV's greatest clowns.

Well yes, but I think were really talking at cross-purposes here; I wasn't really making a comment on quality or longevity; just pointing out that it existed at all.

Reading Michael Jacob's current College of Comedy blog reminds me that Nightingales was surreal. And, of course, we shouldn't forget Green Wing.

I don't think Ive ever seen or heard of Nightingales; good/funny?