Long time listener, first time sender...

Hello all,

It's a quick question really. It seems that a few of you using the forum have sent off scripts to production companies. I was wondering what the best approach was.

I've had conflicting advice regarding sending off new scripts. On one hand I've been told the best approach is a Log Line, Summary, and Script (not the first episode though, further in). I've also been told that you really need to send 2 scripts, perhaps to demonstrate longevity.

I'm sure it depends on the individual companies you send to, but I've also been told sometimes 10 or so pages of the script is enough. And even just a summary would be enough (but i can't imagine that for a new writer)

Anyone had any experience they can share? Is it best just to investigate each company and find out how they do it?

Also, has anyone tried to go through agents or have they been sending their work direct to the production companies/broadcasters?

It wasn't that short a question really was it?

I've been told the only time an agent will really be interested in you is the moment in your career when you can afford to dispense with an agent's services altogether. That is you're getting enough work to merit his 15% cut but making enough money and kudos not to need him / her.

Best is always email the company (a person within the org or the generic company email at first) and ask for their submission preferences. Whether they prefer hardcopy or email, and ask for a preferred contact name to send the material to.

______________________________________________________________ www.welshwriters.org.uk/slaggbrothers - Anarchic Welsh writers www.welshwriters.org.uk/ajdesmond - a new Sci-fi / Humour writer

Cheers you SlagAngelic, thats pretty much how I envisaged it.

Not that I'm confident enough to send anything off yet (I'll post something on here soon for people to read, and let them tear it to pieces).

I've acquired a copy of The Writers and Artists Handbook, I understand that suppossed to be useful. I suppose it's just a case of trawling through that and approaching the companies that you feel may be interested in the type of work your writing eh?

What about going straight to broadcasters? If you make your way straight to them and they reject your work, is there any point in sending it to the production companies as, ultimately, they'll be going to go to the same place?

Ginge

Personally, I wouldn't bother sending stuff straight to the broadcasters. When I started out, I sent my first script to the BBC and received a photocopied 'thanks but no thanks' letter back from them. It's best to go straight to the production companies. I didn't find the Writers and Artists Handbook much use in this respect. Best bet is to watch yout favourite shows and make a note of the companies behind them and then look them up on the Internet. This website also includes a useful A-Z of production companies.

Cheers fella.

Hey Thomps, I was wondering have you seen that Respectable thats on Channel 5 at the mo, thought it might be up your alley?

Just a little joke there.

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ September 1, 2006, 6:15 PM

Cheers fella.

Hey Thomps, I was wondering have you seen that Respectable thats on Channel 5 at the mo, thought it might be up your alley?

Just a little joke there.

lol

Ouch! I missed it cos i thought it was on the Beeb.

:O

GJ, who are you to suggest that it might be up my alley? :)

From my experience you can flick through The Writer's and Artists's Yearbook and eliminate all the companies that say they won't touch unsolicited work with a barge pole.

Next, avoid anybody who 'isn't actively looking for new material right now'. Although these people will say that they love to hear from new writers they most certainly do not. They only like to hear from new writers if you're standing if a different postcode from thier office. These people are bastards of the highest order and long may they roast in hell come the revolution.

Basically, find a few companies that you feel will be interested in your style of work (ie- they produce stuff that you like and that is along the lines of your own work). Ask them first if it's okay to send something for them to read. Don't just send off a 30 plus page script first time around because it'll be filed in the bin. Send them a treatment first and those who are interested will ask for the script.

Some will never get back in touch with you again, a couple will write back with standard 'We're sorry but we too busy licking Jimmy Carr's bits to bother with you right now' messages. One or two will write back with proper, constructive critisism. Get to know these people, they are your new best friends. Once you've got to know them then you might just get somewhere but don't expect it to be overnight.

One more thing that you'll probably already know but it's worth bearing in mind anyway. Don't look or sound too desperate by phoning/e-mailing producers/script dev guys all the time. It drives them bonkers and shows you to be a loon who won't be able to hack it if you're told you idea is shite. Play it cool, getting a script read is very much like a first date. Both sides are a bit unsure, you're scared that you'll never get anywhere, they think you're out to stab them.

Good luck comrade!