Meet the Writers: Martin Baum Page 2

Nice one boys. Very interesting again.

Dan

Good interview, good read. Well done guys.

Hi - have a few questions for Martin.

Did you have a publisher or literary agent before you wrote the book - as in previous works with them or an agent attached through samples of your work? Or did you write it first and then tout the MS to a publisher / agent.

The agent you're with now is literary or comedy? Or do you have two?

More detail on how it all kicked off for you please.

Quote: SlagA @ July 12 2008, 6:44 PM BST

Did you have a publisher or literary agent before you wrote the book.

I did but they weren't able to do anything for me.

The agent you're with now is literary or comedy?

He's a literary agent.

More detail on how it all kicked off for you please.

Although I'd love to say it was all down to strategic planning, it wasn't. I'm just not that clever. My intention was to turn more people into and onto the Bard by making him fun and accessible. This simplistic approach was what got up the noses of the academics and intellectuals around the globe, created all the headlines and with it, thank God, more than just a little notoriety and that, I guess, is what continues to make the book sell. Phew.

Quote: Baumski @ July 11 2008, 5:03 PM BST

I'm not dead.

Yes, he was a great writer cut down in his prime...what? You're not? Oh. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Baumski @ July 13 2008, 9:28 AM BST

I did but they weren't able to do anything for me.

He's a literary agent.

Although I'd love to say it was all down to strategic planning, it wasn't. I'm just not that clever. My intention was to turn more people into and onto the Bard by making him fun and accessible. This simplistic approach was what got up the noses of the academics and intellectuals around the globe, created all the headlines and with it, thank God, more than just a little notoriety and that, I guess, is what continues to make the book sell. Phew.

Cool! Just to follow up on the Slag's question - how did you get the deal, did you send your manuscript to agents or publishers? Or did you gain the notoriety first with the idea and then found they came to you?

Quote: Simon Stratton @ July 13 2008, 10:46 AM BST

Just to follow up on the Slag's question - how did you get the deal, did you send your manuscript to agents or publishers? Or did you gain the notoriety first with the idea and then found they came to you?

Ah, that old chestnut. It was the notoriety that preceded everything.

Cheers Martin. :)

You self published didn't you?

Or did I dream that part... :/

I thinketh so.

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2008, 4:08 PM BST

You self published didn't you?

That's right and after being taken to the brink and let down very, very badly I decided to do something about the situation. But after everything kicked off - I was told that I broke the mould for self publishing - I came away from being self published. As a general rule of thumb, 2000 books sold is a very good reflection. My book passed this figure withih a couple of weeks.

You could write a book about self publishing!

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2008, 6:23 PM BST

You could write a book about self publishing!

I've already written several articles about this and the latest one will be in the next 'Self Publishing' magazine.

You are a writing god.

I see that he has a new play. Just had an email from Canal Theatre Café.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st May 2015, 6:17 PM BST

I see that he has a new play. Just had an email from Canal Theatre Café.

Me too. Good for him, I like Martin.
Here's the link http://www.martinbaum.co.uk/