Respectable

Respectable debuts on Channel Five tonight (Wed 30th) at 10:30pm. So far the reviews have been mixed, which is probably not surprising considering the premise of the show.

Anyway, more importantly, what did you think of it?

Saw it, and thought it was very funny, better than expected. The first episode shit all over the entire series of Suburban Shootout.

I didn't think i was going to like Jodi Albert after watching her in Hollyoaks, but you know, she was great. The main guy character, playing the bumbling fool was funny to watch. And some great one liners.

If the first episode is anything to go by, i will watch the entire series.

p.s. The only negative review i've seen was from The Guardian.

I didn't see it all, but there seemed to be some funny lines sandwiched between some rubbish ones. Was it written by several people?
*edit* ah I just looked, and it was. I can guess who did all the funny lines, then.
: )

It was good to see Barunka Shaughnessy (cannot spell her last name) as one of the prostitutes. She's always ace!

I loved respectable, also loved Hayley (Jodi Albert's character). Was the perfect hour for me Swinging series 2 followed by Respectable.

Not sure who this Jodi Albert person is exactly, but good show. I'll be watching the rest. :)

I got bored of watching it after the first five minutes. I don't normally give up on a show so quickly, but nothing funny had happened up to that point, so I put on my Father Ted DVD instead. Although it seems that if I had given it more time, it may have gotten better.

You didn't miss much. It wasn't terrible but I didn't laugh once. I made it to the end of the first episode, but halfway through I started to read my monthly bank statement - never a good sign!

The bumbling central character was annoying as was the Eastern European prostitute - her only purpose appeared to be for the viewer to laugh at her funny accent. On the plus side, it did feature Hollyoaks woman and Cordelia Bugeja wandering around in their underwear, which can only be a good thing.

If only there was something for the lady viewers to look at.
: (

I don't think the casting director tried very hard. Not that I'm saying women don't like rather large, unattractive, middle aged men...

The scene with bumbling bloke lying on the bed in just his pants was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a long time.

I doubt that this show will have many female viewers - it's primarily aimed at Nuts/Zoo readers, isn't it? (hence the casting of her out of Hollyoaks and the underlying message that prostitution is a bit of a laugh and a good way to pay off your student debts).

Quote: zooo @ August 31, 2006, 1:27 PM

I don't think the casting director tried very hard. Not that I'm saying women don't like rather large, unattractive, middle aged men...

But the whole point was that he was a "large, unattractive, middle aged man". If he'd been a muscular, toned 23-year old, it just wouldn't have worked.

Something about this show worked?

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very funny. The main character is brilliant, he's so likeable and stupid. Will get slaughtered because it's a laddish comedy, but I'll watch again, definitely. The casting was superb. Jodie Albert is perfect, because she's drop dead gorgeous, but yet warm and gentle, very easy to take her seriously in her role. The main character did a fantastic job. His wife is someone I've always liked since Brookside. She was great in 'Roger, Roger', she's beatiful too, which is a bonus. I like the dynamics between Mike and his wife, Mike and his 'friend' and Mike and hayley, thought they settled very quickly. Good show.

Will get slaughtered because it's a laddish comedy...

Nope, will get slaughtered because it isn't funny and because of the questionable subject matter.

Quote: Thomps74 @ September 1, 2006, 10:37 AM

Will get slaughtered because it's a laddish comedy...

Nope, will get slaughtered because it isn't funny and because of the questionable subject matter.

Who are you to suggest it isn't funny? I found it funny. Other people did. The questionable subject was handled pretty well. It was crude, but then so are other shows, Men Behaving Badly is crude, so is 2 Pints of Lager and a packet of crisps. No one cares if it's funny. Even if I hadn't laughed, I would've enjoyed it because the characters created an immediate impression and made me want to follow them.

Oh dear...

Who am I to suggest it isn't funny?

On that basis, who are you to suggest it is funny?

Your bizarre post then goes on to declare that, "No one cares if it's funny."

Erm, I do, seeing as it is a sitcom and sitcoms are supposed to be funny, but you obviously know more about the subject than me.