The Likely Lads Page 8

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 20 2012, 9:23 AM BST

But it would be interesting to have a "best" and a "favourite" list (voted by snobs and "comedy fast food lovers") and compare the two. And I bet my arse on it that Fawlty Towers would have the overall better outcome than Porridge because of its broader appeal.

I think it would almost certainly be the case. In many ways this is the accepted wisdom, much as 'Citizen Kane' is voted greatest film, even though it isn't. Although I believe Vertigo shifted it this year, Harrah. Fawlty Towers is a great comedy, but I am a comedy snob, and for me it's Porridge every time. The genius of it, although not intentional is that it never dates, set in a prison it ironically is not a prisoner to the time it was made. It would however be both my favourite and the best in my opinion. Comedy as I said is a moveable feast you take from it what you want, I want Porridge. I guess we like what we like, but at the end of the day they are both classics and nothing can take that away from either of them. I guess it's like asking who's the better Michelin Chef, the food will be outstanding anyway.

Quote: Pingl @ September 20 2012, 9:29 AM BST

The genius of it, although not intentional is that it never dates, set in a prison it ironically is not a prisoner to the time it was made.

So true, "Porridge" is to "Two Pints Of Lager..." what blues music is to (bad) 80s pop...unless the prison system changes dramatically, of course.

Um - isn't this the Likrly Lads thread? Isn't allthis going off-topic?

Quote: Chappers @ September 20 2012, 10:22 PM BST

It's a fair cop guvn'er.

Quote: Chappers @ September 20 2012, 10:22 PM BST

This can happen sometimes...but at least we weren't discussing the pedestriansation of Norwich. ;)

Postman rang today. I'm looking forward to work my way through the complete TLL/WHTTLL boxset.

I'm defintely in "Classic Britcom"-mode!! :)

Enjoyed the first episode. The picture quality is less than perfect though...

Just started watching WHTTLL. I could tell it's from the makers of Porridge...which I couldn't say about TLL. It's interesting to see the evolution in the style of writers (same goes for songwriters). At one point they find the right mix, perfect it and produce comedy gold for some time. But even in their early work you can spot elements of the latter days' genius.
Like with Sullivan who developed his writing style with Citizen Smith (which isn't as good as OFAH imo).

Interesting point, Gordon. There's a significant improvement in quality with WHTTLL. There's not much 60s comedy I like, though, apart from Steptoe and Son, Hancock and Till Death Us Do Part, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

My uncle knows James Bolam.

Is he the miserable old bugger that is often claimed? (James Bolam, not your uncle.)

Nope He says he was a good bloke

I heard him asked in an interview if he would ever considering doing more Likely Lads

You'd have thought the interviewer had asked him if he could shag his missus

Seemed a misery guts to me...

My uncle met him in a pub

Am I the only one who thinks that Bob Ferris (or: Rodney Bewes) isn't exactly the womanizer type the writers wanted us to believe? The other guy is perfectly believable as the cynical ladykiller.

They are repeating Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads on BBC4, watched the first one last night. It always irks me a bit how poor Rodney Bewes is compared to James Bolam.