The Likely Lads Page 5

Quote: Hyde150 @ January 2 2010, 1:45 PM GMT

I'd fall into that category, and to your original point, I really liked it and didn't think I would. So, cheers.

No problem. Nice surprise to find out how crackingly good it is, wasn't it? :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 2 2010, 6:01 PM GMT

No problem. Nice surprise to find out how crackingly good it is, wasn't it? :)

Hey you young 'uns. You didn't invent situation comedy with your fancy 'Big Tops' and 'According to Bex' you know.

Whistling nnocently Whistling nnocently Laughing out loud

Quote: True Briton @ January 23 2009, 9:22 PM GMT

I've often thought that it would have been good to have a new series catching up with Bob & Terry (notwithstanding James Bolam's attitude to the show), but given the years that have now passed it would probably come across as an updated remake of 'Last of The Summer Wine' (I hate that show).

Rodney Bewes and James Bolam no longer speak after Bewes betrayed a confidence during an interview with the press. A little unfair on Bewes because Bolam refused to do any press for the series and I guess he just thought it was an anecdote worth sharing.

Superb. One of the series(Whatever) that's better than the original! (agree on the film too).

The thing is, there are so many subtle bits of humour that you will catch at some point (not always first time, and not always obvious as such) ' Stealing dinky toys from Woolworths - that's just kid's stuff' says Terry once....

I've always wondered about the two leads' 'fall out' - Bolam didn't appear on an episode of 'This is Your life' for Bewes - but by all accounts, Bolam always said he didnt want typecast as a 'Terry'. True or not, he has done some amazing work since, but has also starred as Andy Capp, and (not a crit) - but Figgis in Only When I Laugh was not a million miles away from a 'Terry' character.

It all points to perhaps more than one incident between them at least from Bolam's point of view. I also read somewhere online** that they have been spotted 'on the sauce' together at least once since so who knows?

**usual caveats apply!

I've never Googled to find out more about this feud between Bewes and Bolam but I'm glad it exists somehow, or speculation of it does, as it reminds one of the glory days of British sitcoms, the 70s, when classic sitcoms were being created and viewed by millions. WHTTLL? is a high, high quality piece of work, perhaps the classiest sitcom ever made, and probably now ever likely to be. Magnif!

Quote: True Briton @ January 24 2009, 2:22 AM GMT

the 1974 Christmas special was a superb finale. This has often since been repeated around Christmas, and the closing image of Bob with a single earring is tremendous.

Yes it was on again the other night (well done Channel 5) and that ending was an absolute classic, my God they knew how to set up proper episode finales in those days, didn't they. A great Christmas special, that one. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 31 2010, 11:06 AM GMT

Yes it was on again the other night (well done Channel 5) and that ending was an absolute classic, my God they knew how to set up proper episode finales in those days, didn't they. A great Christmas special, that one. :)

Have to agree with that.

As an aside I have always harboured a hope that at some stage hatchets could be buried and they might give this one last hurrah. All the principals are still kicking about and of course Clement and La Frenais are too. A much older Bob, Terry and Thelma could be a thing to behold, and I'm sure there's some great comedy that could be produced by such a talented ensemble cast of writers and actors.

It would be a truly amazing show for fans were it to be done well but I'm aware of course that such a venture would be a massive risk too; even if they did get a truce between Bewes & Bolam it might well end up being one almighty monumental balls-up; tarnishing a previously unblemished record.

Every time I think about this slightly mad / sad idea I come to the same conclusion that, on balance, it'd probably be better to leave it where they did.

But sometimes, say maybe after a night out on the batter, I can't believe that there's not some small part of both Clement & La Frenais that doesn't, for just one fleeting second, consider the same scenario.

I love The Likely Lads. I have the movie on tape. I nearly watch it all the time.

Seen a few episodes to give it a fair crack of the whip....was like watching paint dry for me unfortunately.

Again, Sir! :O

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ November 19 2011, 4:43 PM GMT

Seen a few episodes to give it a fair crack of the whip....was like watching paint dry for me unfortunately.

Which one are you talking about, TLL or WHTTLL? The second incarnation entertained from the first minute of the first episode, if I remember, it was fantastic. Slow maybe, but really well written and involving, the plots are really good, the acting is brilliant and the Thelma - Terry relationship is fizzing. It's a belter, it must be you just don't like the slow pace or the type of slightly moany, argumentative characters they were. I wish they made sitcoms like that today!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 19 2011, 7:59 PM GMT

Which one are you talking about, the TLL or WHTTLL? The second incarnation entertained from the first minute of the first episode, if I remember, it was fantastic. Slow maybe, but really well written and involving, the plots are really good, the acting is brilliant and the Thelma - Terry relationship is fizzing. It's a belter, it must be you just don't like the slow pace or the type of slightly moany, argumentative characters they were. I wish they made sitcoms like that today!

I'm talking about Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads. I don't mean to sound cruel to fans of the show, I just personally found that there were too many scenes of Bob & Terry moaning about this and that, and much prefer something visually funny going.on. Though in saying all that, there was one particular episode I did quite enjoy and that one was 'Affairs and Relations'. I remember this one well because Bill Owen stars.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ November 19 2011, 8:29 PM GMT

I'm talking about Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads. I don't mean to sound cruel to fans of the show, I just personally found that there were too many scenes of Bob & Terry moaning about this and that, and much prefer something visually funny going.on.

Sorry but I have to agree. I've been watching quite a lot of WHTTLL lately and while it's quite warm and raises the occasional smile, there doesn't seem to be many laughs in there and it's not something I could watch over and over.

I can't stand Thelma too, awful woman.

Quote: aquasplash3 @ November 20 2011, 8:43 AM GMT

I can't stand Thelma too, awful woman.

Curiously I quite had the hots for her as a kid, I think maybe it was the episode with the Peter Pan outfit that did it.

One of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Quote: Timbo @ November 20 2011, 9:41 AM GMT

Curiously I quite had the hots for her as a kid,

While I had the hots for Audrey played by the then gorgeous Sheila Fern of the very few episodes that I had seen.