The Likely Lads Page 3

LOVE IT!

Remembered WHTTLL from my youth and thought at the time it was great.
Did not see any repeats in the period between the mid 70's and a couple of years ago when I spotted WHTTLL greatest hits on an online store.
I bought it hoping it wasn't a nostalgia driven memory.
No worrys. Was as hilarious. In fact more so as I could relate to the goings on.
Then bought the complete box set and watched it through in chronological order. Twice!
Hadn't seen the original Likely Lads before so was extremely pleasantly surprised.

Shall watch again soon.

Smashing.

My favourite episodes are 'No Hiding Place', where the lads go to extremes to avoid hearing the result of an England international match, and 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner'. Anyone who thinks a 70s revival would be a good idea should watch this episode. The visual shock of the carpets, curtains and furniture all clashing with each other is truly jaw-dropping.

I finally got round to buying the boxset yesterday (£15 in Zavvi) and am looking forward to watching it.

I'm intrigued by the number of episodes in each series of WHTTLL. Was it common in the 70s to have series with so many episodes?

I'm not sure about common, but certainly more regular than now, particularly on ITV.

It really is a splendid couple of programmes though. I love 'em. :)

I like it too, I've only seen the previous DVD which was "The Very Best of Whatever Happened...", but I really enjoyed that.

This is going to keep me busy.

Surely it's impossible to select "best" episode which aren't the whole run?!

Anyway, yes, it'll take a while to get through, but more than worth it. :)

Absolute quality from start to finish. :)

And let us never forget that unforgettable theme tune to WHTTLL.

What theme tune?? :)

I've just spotted that G.O.L.D. are now repeating Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? at 9:40 am and 5:00 pm every day. They started off on Monday, so today's episode is S01E04 - Moving On.

Good to see it getting an outing, even if it's had no publicity.

I wish I had G.O.L.D. Stupid Freeview. Angry

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2009, 5:03 PM GMT

I've just spotted that G.O.L.D. are now repeating Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? at 9:40 am and 5:00 pm every day. They started off on Monday, so today's episode is S01E04 - Moving On.

Good to see it getting an outing, even if it's had no publicity.

Maybe we are getting a bit of the old classic G.O.L.D again, after the poor showing of the last few years. They were showing Citizen Smith the other night. Damn, if only I had it.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 8 2009, 5:35 PM GMT

Maybe we are getting a bit of the old classic G.O.L.D again, after the poor showing of the last few years. They were showing Citizen Smith the other night. Damn, if only I had it.

They're putting a bit of variation into it, but nothing like the early/mid 1990s.

Today from 7am:
Last Of The Summer Wine (S09E06)
The Brittas Empire (S02E04)
Waiting For God (Unknown)
To The Manor Born (Unknown)
Whatever Heppened To The Likely Lads? (S01E04)
Keeping Up Appearances (Unknown)
The Good Life (S01E04)
One Foot In The Grave (S01E04)
Last Of The Summer Wine (S05E01)
Last Of The Summer Wine (S05E02)
Dinnerladies (S01E04)

So the only new things they're showing are WHTTL? and The Brittas Empire. Everything else could have been in the lineup at any point in the last 5 years.

Yes, but who knows, at least they are moving in the right direction, unless they are women drivers...

I only have a vague memory of the original LL series, though I do remember the last episode when they both decide to join the Army.

WHTTLL is probably on balance my favourite sitcom of all time (depending on when you ask me). Series 1 and the first half of Series 2 especially. I did feel the creativity was starting to tail off towards the end of the second series though. The episodes where Bob & Thelma were separated I found to be a bit tedious. However, the 1974 Christmas special was a superb finale. This has often since been repeated around Christmas, and the closing image of Bob with a single earring is tremendous.

Like earlier contributors, I also found the film to be pretty good. It stands up in its own right, and slots in logically carrying on a couple of years on from where the TV Series finished.

I've often thought that it would have been good to have a new series catching up with Bob & Terry (notwithstanding James Bolam's attitude to the show), but given the years that have now passed it would probably come across as an updated remake of 'Last of The Summer Wine' (I hate that show).