The Likely Lads Page 10

Quote: AlanC @ 24th June 2008, 8:57 PM BST

James Bolam wouldn't allow repeats of WHTTLL for a long time because he wanted to move on and be seen for something other than Terry Collier.....David Jason is still doing the same with almost all of his pre Fools and Horses work cept Open All Hours.

How is that possible? Do British actors have that much power?

Historically they do, yes. Their contracts would have stipulated permission for only one or two repeat broadcasts.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th February 2014, 11:02 PM GMT

Historically they do, yes. Their contracts would have stipulated permission for only one or two repeat broadcasts.

So, one actor can block future repeats? What about the other actors who would like the show to be repeated?

By all means interesting. I'm sure in America not even the creators have any rights whatsoever. It's all up to the broadcasting companies.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th February 2014, 11:08 PM GMT

So, one actor can block future repeats? What about the other actors who would like the show to be repeated?

They're stuffed. I believe only the starring, regular actors have such say-so, and some very well-respected names have used said power, and continue to do so. I've mentioned one or two in other threads.

From the WHTTLL thread

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/9464/

So it seems James Bolam must have relented by giving his permission for the shows to be repeated as this was one of the things that he dug his heels in over refusing to allow them to be shown on network TV.
And this was all over something Rodney Bewes revealed about JB back in the 70s.

I went off James Bolam because of this as it seemed so petty and while he enjoyed success in many other TV series, RB suffered from the financial loss of repeats of Whatever Happened, not to mention the other actors that appeared in that series.

Selfish........and from what I can gather, all over something and nothing.

Quote: Ben @ 16th February 2014, 10:58 AM GMT

I've only watched the final episode of WHTTLL once before, but shall dig it out as I can't remember much about it. Sounds a strange way to end the series.

Bolam's and Bewes' falling out is rather unfortunate as I've read it was a misunderstanding on Bolam's part. Would love to see a one off episode featuring them as OAPS meeting up again.

View Original

If it was a misunderstanding, then he should publicly apologise to RB (he won't of course - apparently he is quite arrogant and too big for his boots) as from interviews I have seen with RB over this, the poor man is distraught over the whole affair.

Not that it will ever happen (unless JB has a moment of revelation!) it certainly would be a fantastic one off!! What a great idea Ben!

:)