Last of the Summer Wine - 2008 & 2009

The first episode of the new series, (series 29) is to be aired on BBC 1 on June the 22nd. Can't remember the time but its around 6 or 7 o'clock.

Synopsis:
ENTER THE FINGER
Barry's fitness-mad neighbour annoyingly outshines him in all things physical. When it comes to karate, however, Barry has friends who can help him even the balance. Guest Appearance of Brian Conley.

SITCOM: Last of the Summer Wine
On: BBC One
Date: Sunday 22nd June 2008
Time: 18:35 to 19:05

Enter the Finger. Series 28, episode 1.
Gentle comedy. Brian Conley plays Barry's fitness-mad neighbour, who annoyingly outshines him in all things physical. When it comes to karate, however, Barry has friends who can help him even the balance.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)

Starring: Peter Sallis, Frank Thornton, Brian Conley, Kathy Staff, Brian Murphy, Philip Anthony

Never has a comedy been more inappropriately named .. Last of?!?! It never bloody ends :(

Having said that - how many American sitcoms have had 200+ episodes written by the same man?

Thanks Aaron! I've recorded it. Don't really like it that much but I've been watching it on UKTVGold during the day because I've just left school and I'm waiting to go to uni so I watch a steady run of Last of the Summer Wine, The Good Life, My Family and The Thin Blue Line. Its the '95 and '97 series of Last of the Summer Wine that's on at the moment and even although I don't like it too much, its addictive just to see what they get up to and I want to see how its changed so I recorded the new one.

Is Barry going to become one of the main characters as he ages?

It's stange and disturbing really when I see it's series 29. Watching earlier episodes, such as the first two series with Michael Bates which I have been watching and think are brilliant and now watching newer episodes, it is like watching two completely different shows. They are as different as say 'The Young Ones' and 'Terry and June'

I have't seen many of the early episodes.

Due to my age, I didn't start watching till 1987ish! I remember, in the mid 90's, that I caught a couple of the early episodes and was quite shocked at how different they were.

My favourite period was 90-93, but that's simply because I've seen barely anything from before that. And I was a kid back then. And I'm nostalgic, like.

I liked it best from the beginning till the 1983 special Getting Sam Home, so the first ten years were absolutely superb, but then it started to loose quality and it is awful today. But correct, what a change from the early episodes to the later ones.

I find it more watchable today - Howard is the only person who is funny in it. If you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

Quote: Alan C @ June 20 2008, 11:03 PM BST

If you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

That's quite, quite true.

Howard isn't funny. The old episodes that were typical Roy Clarke comedy were the best. It started off with hilarious well written dialogue, now it is old people falling down hills.

Sorry Jack, Bill Owen is dead and so pratfalls have had to be retired somewhat. Admittedly when I say Howard is funny I am doing so on low volume :)

I was not a big fan of the Michael Bates era, but I thought it was a strong sitcom during the whole Brian Wilde's first stint, though the loss of John Cromer and Joe Gladwin weakened the series considerarly. Michael Aldridge's character was misconceived and the series went downhill all the way from then.

I'm gonna do an Aaron and correct you on John Comer there Timbo ;) The people I find most tedious in this comedy are the women - they are meant to be the strong characters but I just find them boring en masse - though Jean Alexander does stand out. Kathy Staff is the same character she played in Crossroads back in the 70's!

>_<

I agree that Jean Alexander apart all the female characters are dreadful.