Would Till Death Us Do Part get an airing today? Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2008, 10:23 PM BST

Rigsby was definitely prejudiced, yes. Whether he was racist is debatable. If we go by the common definition, then yes. If we go by the strict-OED definition, then no. If we go by the stereotypical "LET'S KILL THOSE FUCKING PAKIS" attitude that springs to mind all-too-often when racism is mentioned, then again, no.

To be honest Aaron, I don't think we can even 'credit' Alf Garnett and Eddie Booth with having such views. Now Jade GOody on the other hand....

Rigsby is racist. He believes or wants to believe in the superiority of his race. His line is not so much that blacks are inherently inferior but that they are culturally backward. The reason his racism is not offensive is because Philip is an idealised black man, which draws the sting. Much as Marigold did in In Sickness and in Health. Till Death do us Part was much edgier because there was no black character on screen to give the lie to Garnett's rants.

I appoint Timbo as my official spokesman

Yes but compared to that of Love thy Neighbour where there were black people on screen to give lie to Booth's rants, Booth is quite clearly a racist, wheras Rigsby, though an idiot of a charactor, isn't. I've never found anything likeable in Garnett or Booth, but Rigsby just seems to have something in him that's likeable. In fairness though, the colour factor is the main source of 'humour' in Love thy Neighbour, but isn't necesserily in Rising Damp.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 20 2008, 10:46 PM BST

Now Jade GOody on the other hand....

Ah, now that's a common misconception! She got all of the blame, but of the three girls involved in that racism stuff, she actually said and did the least.

We all know that the only racist sitcom star is that bloke who was in Seinfeld.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 20 2008, 10:53 PM BST

Yes but compared to that of Love thy Neighbour where there were black people on screen to give lie to Booth's rants, Booth is quite clearly a racist, wheras Rigsby, though an idiot of a charactor, isn't. I've never found anything likeable in Garnett or Booth, but Rigsby just seems to have something in him that's likeable. In fairness though, the colour factor is the main source of 'humour' in Love thy Neighbour, but isn't necesserily in Rising Damp.

I think the key is that Booth and Garnett seem to have just plain hated 'darkies' themselves. Rigsby, on the other hand, grasped onto racism/bigotry as a way to elevate himself, and prove his own worth against crippling self-doubt. If he really was truly, deeply racist inside, he would have thrown Philip out immediately.

I reckon.

Yes, Aaron. That's a good point. Although maybe it was his obsession with money that overrode his racism?

Is overrode a word??!

It surely is and I agree with your view on Rupert

Overrode, yeah, I think so. We all know what you mean anyway.

Wow, it looks as though I made a good point for once!

*Lets off party popper*

Hope those party poppers are not all one colour>?

They are green.
Only aliens will feel included.

and peas

and cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage