Minder

Can't see a thread for this gem and although not really a sitcom in the true sense of the word, this was one of the best TV comedies ever.

Sharp writing and scripts of the very highest order and Cole and Waterman were a formidable team. Supporting cast excellent too.

I remember that Thursday night 9 was a must see and forget the pub night.

I honestly can say that there is not a programme these days that I would alter my social calendar for.

Like some other shows though, it stayed on too long and should (IMO) have been put to bed when Waterman left.

yeah you're right. Everybody liked Minder. George Cole was a great actor. Why they tried to carry on after Waterman is anybodies guess!

It's more of a comedy-drama though.

Very happy memories bit it really should have stopped after Denis Waterman left. Does anyone remember the Christmas hit he and George Cole had with 'What are we going to get er indoors'?

Yes I do.

"That's typical you've no respect
You make me laugh you do"

etc etc

One of my fave shows...(along with Sweeney) Huh? Huh?

Aitch,

Agree entirely about Minder - an absolute classic. As a young man living in the westcountry in the early days of the show it made me long to move to London and find a club just like The Winchester. My favourite quote was Arthur crying out "it's the river filth" when the Thames boat police came after him and Terry. What stars!

As for the "What do we get for 'er indoors" I am proud to count it among my record collection.

Some of the characters were superbly named.

I always remember a fence called - Larch lap

And a guy who wore an ill-fitting wig called - The Syrup

Saw something on the BBC POV boards today posted a few weeks ago saying that there is going to be a re-make of Minder or else something very similar starring Bradley Walsh.

Anybody know if this is right? Something "in the mould of" would IMO be quite good but I think a re-make calling it Minder would be a mistake.

Yes can confirm that this been reported, about a month back. will have to wait and see if anything come of it and if it any good

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007030291,00.html

In a way "Fools and Horses" started off "in the mould of "Minder". Loveable cockney losers. That also went on too long in my opinion. You could never really cast anyone else as Arthur Daley.

Oh no! I've just heard that there is to be be a remake with Shane Ritchie playing Arfur's nephew.

I fear the worst. Not because of SR just because I don't think you can re-do a classic.

Too many will compare it to the original and not unless they are lucky and have some mega-talent on the script team then IMO there will be no way the writing will be as good.

Eind Minder wiffawt Arfur eind Tel just ain't Minder my son!

Quote: Griff @ July 31 2008, 5:14 PM BST

This show holds claims to being the first British "comedy drama". Whether that's true or not, it was absolutely terrific, until Dennis Waterman left and that other c**t took over. Also the Minder movies (TV movies ?) were frigging awful, especially the one when they went to Australia.

As far as I can remember there was nothing really in that mould before.

There was something about the feel of those Thames programmes though that worked. As I've said before I think that ITV made these kind of things better than their sitcoms.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ July 31 2008, 5:10 PM BST

Oh no! I've just heard that there is to be be a remake with Shane Ritchie playing Arfur's nephew.

I fear the worst. Not because of SR just because I don't think you can re-do a classic.

Too many will compare it to the original and not unless they are lucky and have some mega-talent on the script team then IMO there will be no way the writing will be as good.

Eind Minder wiffawt Arfur eind Tel just ain't Minder my son!

Shades of Paul Merton and Hancock spring to mind . . . . . :|

Quote: Griff @ July 31 2008, 5:14 PM BST

This show holds claims to being the first British "comedy drama". Whether that's true or not

I suspect comedy drama is as old as the medium. Budgie springs to mind as an obvious Minder precursor. And what was The Avengers if not comedy drama?

Also the Minder movies (TV movies ?) were frigging awful, especially the one when they went to Australia.

I don't recall an Australian one, but Minder on the Orient Express was decent (and coincidentally starred Budgie's Adam Faith.)