List of companies to send scripts to Page 7

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 10:30 AM BST

No one can do that.

Aiming high there.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:35 AM BST

I f**king hate Harry Potter.

I love the films, but the books are really quite average prose.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 10:30 AM BST

No one can do that. It's more of a marathon then a sprint, constantly writing/improving. And superb is an opinion, you can only control the quality not how much it is appreciated.

But a boy band with the potential of genius. In the same way on this site maybe the next Croft and Perry, or Chris Morris.

If they were just doing covers and no original stuff, then no, there's be no potential.

Someone on this site may well be the next Croft, or Perry, or Linehan or Nye but what that means is the script has to be like 75% really funny, and that's still a damn good script.

And you can only control the quality to a certain degree. All writers have limits in terms of how good they can write.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15 2008, 10:39 AM BST

Aiming high there.

By writing the poor and the average and the difficult, you examine your limitations as a writer and move beyond them.

Never be ashamed of not writing well, if your at least trying to improve.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:39 AM BST

Aren't the films even worse than the books? That Daniel Radcliffe's a plank. I've seen better actors on Crimewatch.

He's not great, I guess none of them are, but the supporting cast are brilliant and there's some nice ideas in them. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Can't stand Emma Watson though. She dos that 'stage school' acting that's painful to watch.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 9:38 AM BST

More gutting would be the folk who turned down the first Harry Potter book - which is the best of them -

It was? Dear God the others must have been poor. I am sure I would have turned down Harry Potter, but then that shows what I know about publishing. Or what anyone knows really. Another famous example is Watership Down, which after multiple rejections was published by a tiny house who could not afford to pay an advance.

In the Arts, always remember William Goldman's maxim, No-one Knows Anything.

I think I liked the first 2 or 3 books then she got an accelerated case of the Stephen Kings.

Too profitable for any one to dare edit.

Quote: Timbo @ August 15 2008, 10:42 AM BST

It was? Dear God the others must have been poor. I am sure I would have turned down Harry Potter, but then that shows what I know about publishing. Or what anyone knows really. Another famous example is Watership Down, which after multiple rejections was published by a tiny house who could not afford to pay an advance.

In the Arts, always remember William Goldman's maxim, No-one Knows Anything.

The problem is shit load of good stuff gets turned down, that's the way things work.

Conversely, loads of terrible stuff gets turned down too, so I don't think you can look at Potter or The Beatles and use those as examples.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:35 AM BST

I f**king hate Harry Potter.

Shows how much you know! :P

Me? The Brain from the Planet Arous.

A giant evil floating brain with glowing eyes.

Wooooo scary huh?

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15 2008, 10:41 AM BST

Can't stand Emma Watson though. She dos that 'stage school' acting that's painful to watch.

But you still would though, wouldn't you?

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 10:45 AM BST

But you still would though, wouldn't you?

Yeah, but I'd be insulting her as I did it.

Aaron if the British film industry was to be cast entirely by what the BCG shut in geeks would shag, we'd have some very odd films.

A Room with a view.

Starring Debbie McGee, Julia Swahillia, Nigella Lawson, that fit one who must be legal off Harry Potter and David Tennant.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 10:47 AM BST

A Room with a view.

Starring Debbie McGee, Julia Swahillia, Nigella Lawson, that fit one who must be legal off Harry Potter and David Tennant.

You missed off Liz Sladen!

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:32 AM BST

Constantly writing doesn't necessarily equate to improving.

Absolutely - like constantly wanking.

Which reminds me ....

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15 2008, 10:47 AM BST

Yeah, but I'd be insulting her as I did it.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 10:47 AM BST

Aaron if the British film industry was to be cast entirely by what the BCG shut in geeks would shag, we'd have some very odd films.

But they'd be far more watchable. ;)

Quote: Timbo @ August 15 2008, 10:49 AM BST

You missed off Liz Sladen!

Liz Sladen, Helen Mirren, Felicity Kendall and your mum

in Calendar Girls.

Quote: Morrace @ August 15 2008, 10:49 AM BST

Absolutely - like constantly wanking.

Which reminds me ....

Not neccasairly true many sex therapists look at mastrubation as excelent practise exercise for premature ejaculation.

More seriosuly writing, getting it criticised and then working on the feed back builds your skills. You just have to be willing to work and take the critical maulings.

I know in a year my writings changed a lot (it's actually got worse than it was 6 months ago I blame work).

Check out Stephen King On Writing as a very good general guide.

Also there's a biography of his early works that are shitty enough to give any one hope.

Or try Alan Moore's Roscoe Moscow, you'll never believe the same guy wrote Watchmen.

Great writers are not born, they create them selves.