Woody Allen Page 2

What's wrinkly, deluded and shags its daughter?

I read his autobiography, Apropos of Nothing, immediately after finishing Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill. Interestingly, Woody addresses some of the points mentioned in Ronan's book.
Woody's book definitely needed a better editor. Rambling and repetitive toward the end, he keeps reminding us of his fondness for Soon-Yi and that Mia Farrow had always treated Soon-Yi like shit. He also keeps telling us that he never rewatches his films and doesn't care about awards, but goes on to tell us which ones won Oscars. Loads of name-dropping too. The whole book reads like an extended erratic comic monologue, punctuated by anecdotes of crazy ex-wives and ex-girlfriends. And lots of denial of being a paedo. Probably not a book for people looking for tips on writing and directing. Some nice lines, such as: "If I died right now I couldn't complain - and neither would a lot of other people."

The funniest thing he ever said was I want to be the American Ingmar Bergman. It's like One Direction tryna be the Stones.

Gotta love his moose story!

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th May 2020, 4:08 PM

Gotta love Woody Allen - full stop!

The greatest comedy-drama screenwriter in the history of the movies.

And a great stand-up too.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th May 2020, 4:22 PM

Gotta love Woody Allen - full stop!

The greatest comedy-drama screenwriter in the history of the movies.

And a great stand-up too.

True but that's been understandably overshadowed by this adopted daughter thing. You're supposed to protect your daughter, not create a codependent affair with someone way too old for her. I wonder what will come out after his death ?

That said I adore his early slap stick and stand up, one of the very best at both. Turning romantic won him awards and also lost him support at the same time.

Quote: Firkin @ 5th May 2020, 4:55 PM

True but that's been understandably overshadowed by this adopted daughter thing. You're supposed to protect your daughter, not create a co-morbid affair with someone way too old for her. I wonder what will come out after his death ?

It's not the relationship/marriage with Soon-Yi that has caused him to become a pariah in Hollywood. It's that his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow wrote an "open letter" article a few years ago, recounting that when she was seven years old, Woody took her up to the attic, instructed her to lie down and watch a model train set, and then molested her (digital penetration). She also complains of him putting a finger (or thumb) in her mouth and sharing a bed. Dylan asked why various Hollywood predators were being condemned, while Woody was still a beloved, respected movie maker.
According to Woody, "mad" Mia Farrow had coached Dylan from a young age to lie that she was abused. Soon-Yi is now 49 and Woody is about 85. They have 2 adopted daughters.

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th May 2020, 4:08 PM

The only funny story he tries to tell in the autobio is when he got invited to dinner in Paris with Roman Polanski. He and Soon-Yi arrive at the place and are amazed by how opulent (expensive) it is. Woody assumes Polanski has made some good investments over the years, as no director can get so rich. Then the host comes out. Woody starts babbling about how they go back a long way (and hadn't seen each other for 50 years). Then Woody and Soon-Yi start arguing over whether the host really is Polanski. It turns out the host is Russian oil magnate and Chelsea FC owner Roman Abramovich. They'd got the wrong Roman.

No wonder he's called woodie.