Barely Legal

Did anyone see this on BBC3? I thought it was pretty good, some very funny sketches and much better than some of the other sketch shows about.

Yeah, pretty good wasn't it. I thought the fact it was written and performed by 'young people' was going to turn out to be an annoying gimmick, but it ended up just focusing on being funny - which is what it should be all about!

Quote: Griff @ May 30 2008, 9:59 AM BST

Is this a series or just a pilot ? I know a writer who got a sketch into the pilot of this (and contrary to the publicity, he is not a fresh-faced teen by any stretch of the imagination).

One of the ironies of a lot of these teen shows is that some of the people behind them are positively ancient.

There were 13 or so writers, it was a pilot i believe. Should still be on iPlayer. I don't mind who wrote it, it was nice to see a well-performed and mostly well written sketch show.

I don't mind who wrote something either. That said, I watched this and wasn't that impressed. Nothing new and nothing inspired. Competent.

Quote: Griff @ May 30 2008, 10:49 AM BST

That's even better news! (Fished "competent but uninspired" sketches out of bottom drawer...)

Ah, we've all got draws full of those.

Mine are in the competent compartment.

Quote: chipolata @ May 30 2008, 10:51 AM BST

Ah, we've all got draws full of those.

drawers*

!

Quote: Aaron @ May 30 2008, 11:17 AM BST

drawers*

!

I was right, because I keep all my old scripts in old underpants. (You do spell draws as in underwear like that?)

Quote: Marc P @ May 30 2008, 10:53 AM BST

Mine are in the competent compartment.

That really made me laugh!
God I'm easy to please today.

Quote: chipolata @ May 30 2008, 11:18 AM BST

I was right, because I keep all my old scripts in old underpants. (You do spell draws as in underwear like that?)

No, I think those are 'drawers' too! :D

(But not certain. *scours the InterWeb for Are You Being Served? scripts*)

Quote: Griff @ May 30 2008, 11:22 AM BST

I think the old slang for knickers is also "drawers" but am not 100% sure on this.
Wonder where the term came from ? Is it because, like furniture drawers, they provide easy access to their contents by a simple sliding action ?

Probably a euphemism (from our more reserved and restrained times) because they're kept in drawers.

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2008, 11:20 AM BST

That really made me laugh!
God I'm easy to please today.

That bodes well for me then.

Although perhaps not so much with the laughter.

Hmm, I'm surprised you lot thought that of it. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of it to be honest (having finally watched it yesterday). I thought it paled in comparison to the much quicker-paced (and much funnier) Scallywagga.

Disappointed.

Dan