The Quiz Vault

Hi,
A rather different sketch. All feedback more than more than welcome.

THE QUIZ VAULT

EXT DAY. CENTRAL LONDON. A TWENTYSOMETHING MAN IN OFFICE CLOTHES IS WAITING BY A LAMPPOST, LOOKING AT HIS WATCH. HE IS HOLDING SOME FLOWERS.
AN ACQUAINTANCE ADMIRES THE FLOWERS.

Acquaintance:
Meeting a girl? You’re a dark horse, eh?

Man:
Haha – see you later.

SUDDENLY, A FAT MAN APPEARS WITH FLAPPING COMEDY EARS, A HITLER MOUSTACHE AND A STRING OF TEA BAGS AROUND HIS FOREHEAD.

Strange man:
Want to know where the phrase ‘dark horse’ comes from do you?

Man:
Yes, I do actually.

THE STRANGE MAN WALKS BACKWARDS, BECKONING WITH AN ABSURDLY LONG INDEX FINGER. THEY WALK THROUGH A DOORWAY.

CUT TO A ROUGH LANDING ON A CAVE FLOOR. A MAN ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE STRANGE MAN ADDRESSES THE MAN. HE IS STOOPING ON A TABLE

Strange man 2:
Was dark horse a) The name of a breed of giant black dog or B) a quote from benjamin Disraeli’s 1831 novel, ‘The Young Duke’?

Man:
Er, A
TWO HELIUM-VOICED SIDEKICKS START GIGGLING THEN VOMIT ALL OVER THE MAN’S TROUSERS.

Strange Man 2:
You lose quiz!

CUT TO GROUND LEVEL AS THE MAN IS HURLED OUT OF THE DOORWAY AND MET BY HIS DATE.

Woman:
Hi – what happened to your trousers?

Man:
In a nutshell –

Woman:
That phrase – in a nutshell! –

CUT TO STRANGE MAN 1 SMILING AND BECKONING THE WOMAN THROUGH A DOORWAY. FAST ZOOM INTO MAN’S TERRIFIED FACE.

Man:
Noooooooooooooooo!

CUT

Are you smoking the same stuff as Reeves and Mortimer. If so give me the number of your dealer. It was very good. I liked the surrealism and the premise. Maybe you would want to give a reason for the sketch. Man says, I phoned that quiz show the other day, they said they're get back to me. Just to help the audience grasp whats going to happen. Thats just a personal opinion, the sketch works well enough without it, well done

Good idea. I think there are some cracking ideas around and this is a good slant on subject matter that would not occur to many others. I think it's easy to post something as soon as you've had the idea when maybe they could be made a lot better by sleeping on it. I only say this as I've done this myself.

Fred, this is good but I think you've only just begun with this one. It will be even better soon. Nice

Sound advice, chaps!
I suppose that opens up a whole new potetntial thread: spontaneity vs craftsmanship. How important is it to redraft and redraft? Does this sometimes lose some of the spontaneity necessary for comedy? Are you reading this Charlie Adams? Any other ideas welcome.

spontaneity = write it down when you think of it

craftsmanship = take another look or three at it before you post it for critique

if there was bit more craftmanship all round the world would be a happier place

btw I quite liked this sketch idea but thought it needed more work. It could even end up as a recurring character in a sketch show - i.e. someone who turns up with a quiz question when a character uses some random phrase

Keeping this strictly within the field of writing. IMO Spontaneity provides the spark. The source. But craftsmanship is what sets apart great writers from the rest of us. Joe Orton put all his new projects under the bed for a year once he'd written it, then he'd edit it with the fresh perspective that time and distance gives. Many of us haven't got that luxury.

The actually writing part is sometimes considered the allegorical tip of the iceberg, the self-editing process is the hidden 9/10ths that no one ever sees. Saying that, I think, in writing, that the two ideas are totally dependent on each other. Without one, the finished product will always be lacking.

Most painters first start a new painting with crude shapes which they then refine the brushwork to bring out the detail, in a way that's an exact parallel between the role of spontaneity and craftsmanship in writing.

A very sensible answer, Slag and one which I will take on board. I know that with sitcoms the devil is in the detail but I wasn't sure about short sketches. By 'eck this comedy malarkey is a serious business!