How funny was The Comic Strip Presents? Page 4

Bad News & More Bad News were fantastic. The others, including Mr Jolly, I can take or leave. Highly overrated me thinks.

Article from the Telegraph with Peter Richardson saying that they're working on a 30th anniversary series:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/comedy/8080542/The-Comic-Strip-30-years-on.html

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 29 2010, 9:45 AM BST

Article from the Telegraph with Peter Richardson saying that they're working on a 30th anniversary series: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/comedy/8080542/The-Comic-Strip-30-years-on.html

I'm not engorged at the prospect. They had their moments but they seem awfully dated.

Quote: chipolata @ October 29 2010, 9:49 AM BST

I'm not engorged at the prospect. They had their moments but they seem awfully dated.

It'll be nice to have some kind of celebration of their work, though. With new stuff, and that.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 29 2010, 9:52 AM BST

It'll be nice to have some kind of celebration of their work, though. With new stuff, and that.

True. Wasn't the last thing they did that swingers comedy? That was watchable.

Quote: chipolata @ October 29 2010, 9:56 AM BST

True. Wasn't the last thing they did that swingers comedy? That was watchable.

So it was. Yes, that was good. Peter Richardson has always been great at the shorter films. Seems to falter a bit with the longer length stuff though. That Churchill film being a case in point.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 29 2010, 9:58 AM BST

So it was. Yes, that was good. Peter Richardson has always been great at the shorter films. Seems to falter a bit with the longer length stuff though. That Churchill film being a case in point.

*shudders at memory of Churchill film*

They were hit and miss even from the early days. What they did do was give a lot of experience to new comedy actors and those working behind the scenes. Nira Park, who founded and owns Big Talk, for example, cut her comedy teeth working her way up the production ladder on The Comic Strip Presents....

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door will always be my favourite of the series: Rick & Ade at their best, plus a Peter Cook cameo - what more could you ask for? As a little piece of somewhat strange trivia, 'Jolly' was directed by Stephen 'The Queen' Frears, around about the time he was also directing Dangerous Liasons with Glenn Close & John Malkovich.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 1 2008, 10:51 PM BST

Bad News & More Bad News were fantastic.

I watched both of these again recently.

Just brilliant. The argument in the motorway service station my favourite bit of the first one.

As for More Bad News impossible to pick a favourite bit but that Donnington bit where you see Ade Edmondson hit with an apple while playing and he just carries on has stuck with me for years.

Quote: sootyj @ May 12 2008, 3:25 PM GMT

The Prosecution

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, WOrld War3

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is quite possibly the greatest thing ever committed to film.

"Never, ever, bloody, anything, ever" has been the saying by which I also live my life.

Can I just say I was wrong

This is the thread I most regret ever starting

Quote: sootyj @ December 21 2010, 7:41 AM GMT

This is the thread I most regret ever starting

Surely you're not even trying? There must be hundreds of more regrettable threads than this...

no all the others were great

Comic Strip Presents - Complete Collection [DVD]

Quote: sootyj @ December 21 2010, 7:41 AM GMT

As long as you say it like you mean it.