Game On

Noticed there wasnt a thread for this, so thought Id start one because I just picked up the first series DVD for cheap. I loved this when it was on, though I know it was generally savaged by the critics. I find it really funny and warm, even the theme tunes great. Probably one of those shows youre biased about because you loved it when you were a kid, but I do think its a small, overlooked gem. Though Ben Chaplin should never have been allowed to leave; Neil Stuke was good, but not a patch on the original.

Any other fans out there?

Samantha Janus fans do you mean? After all she was the main reason to watch it.

The concept was quite original but I really didn't enjoy the bullying agorophobic character. And the other one was a bit of a wimp.

There were a few good bits but it wasn't consistently funny.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 11 2008, 9:34 PM BST

The concept was quite original but I really didn't enjoy the bullying agorophobic character.

He was the best bit! Ah well, like I say, wasnt a lot of peoples cup of tea, but I loved it.

Game On was ace!
And I certainly didn't fancy Samantha Janus.
Chaplin was indeed miles better than Stuke, but it was still good after he left.
Entirely different though. All the menace and darkness was gone.
I'm not sure if I mean menace. I think I do...

Quote: zooo @ May 11 2008, 9:44 PM BST

Game On was ace!
And I certainly didn't fancy Samantha Janus.
Chaplin was indeed miles better than Stuke, but it was still good after he left.
Entirely different though. All the menace and darkness was gone.
I'm not sure if I mean menace. I think I do...

Yeah, Chapln had a good, brooding presence; you could believe there were dark things going on inside that stopped him leaving the flat. Stuke was good, and I still loved the show with him in, but it wasnt quite the same.

I absolutely loved it. Agree that Chaplin was better too.

I bought Game On series 1 recently, which I had loved when it aired, and Black Books, which I had missed.

The latter rarely raised a smile but Game On was just as funny as I remembered it.

Wasn't it co-written by Andrew Davies who does all those sexed up versions of costume dramas?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/game_on/

Quote: steve by any other name @ May 12 2008, 7:56 AM BST

I bought Game On series 1 recently, which I had loved when it aired, and Black Books, which I had missed.

The latter rarely raised a smile but Game On was just as funny as I remembered it.

Black Books series 1 is one of the *best* sitcoms ever! (In my opinion), I'm quite surprised you didn't laugh much.

Game On was ace though. Even my Dad liked it and he rarely got into any programmes at all. Still don't think it's as good as Black Books though.

Dan

I love Game On. I got the complete box set for £12 off play.com a couple of years back.

I even have a Matthew Cottle autograph which is signed "Game On Ben!".

It was fantastic, and I havew the first series on VHS from when it came out origonally. Neil Stuke was never a replacement for Ben Chapman, the episode where he joined the band wit 'The fury' was brill.

"I'm on the street i'm in the gutter it's years since I had bread and butter.."

or

"I'm gonna shag cos thats my bag.."

classic. :D

Quote: Griff @ May 12 2008, 10:01 AM BST

I second that, Black Books is brilliant.

Yeah right. It's well shit!

Quote: Winterlight @ May 12 2008, 12:24 PM BST

I even have a Matthew Cottle autograph which is signed "Game On Ben!".

Pfft. That's nothing. My nan taught Matthew Cottle when he was at school.

Whatever became of Mathew Cottle? Apart from TV adverts? The other's all went on the bigger and better things.

Theatre.