Capturing the zeitgeist? Page 2

Quote: zooo @ February 3, 2007, 8:19 PM

I actually had to go and look up zeitgeist in the dictionary

Actually a "Zeitgeist" is a temporal spectre that tends to haunt anywhere where the literary or the pretentious meet together. This ghost can be envoked through using Latin phrases ad infinitum, though lately it has become de rigueur to employ French or German phrases ab und zu to conjure up the spirit.

It was regularly spotted at the Algonquin Round Table, is often seen at U2 concerts looking over Bono's shoulder, but has most recently been writing speeches for George W.Bush and right here on this forum.

I hope this clears things up.

;)

To Bilkofan... Firstly, the Oxford English Dictionary defines zeitgeist as "the spirit of the times." Secondly, it's perfectly legitimate to discuss which shows are in sync with the times we live in, unless of course you want yet another thread about the best sitcom/sketch show/comic actor of all time (I actually like those threads, but think you need new things to discuss every now and then). And thirdly, if you know of a speech in which George Bush used Latin I'd love to hear it. Please post the details ASAP.

I'm quite sure "smoke 'em out" is Latin. Isn't it? Yes it is. Really.

Quote: chipolata @ February 8, 2007, 10:19 AM

To Bilkofan... Firstly, the Oxford English Dictionary defines zeitgeist as "the spirit of the times." Secondly, it's perfectly legitimate to discuss which shows are in sync with the times we live in, unless of course you want yet another thread about the best sitcom/sketch show/comic actor of all time (I actually like those threads, but think you need new things to discuss every now and then). And thirdly, if you know of a speech in which George Bush used Latin I'd love to hear it. Please post the details ASAP.

I reckon George W. struggles enough with English without having to wrestle with Latin in his speeches, but if having someone write every word you say for you isn't "pretentious" then I don't know what is. Technically speaking though, so many of our English words originate from the Latin (and of course ancient Greek) that it would be virtually impossible to say anything in English without using a word that has an etymological link to Latin.

You are of course right, it was an interesting thread you started Chipolatta, I was just having a bit of fun wid ya. Kind of Schadenfreude I admit, and for that I apologise. Shame on me for trying to write humorously on a sitcom website! :O)

Now to properly answer your question. I reckon "The I.T. Crowd" fits the bill. We live in an increasingly technical age where the only people who understand the new technology they help develop are techno freaks who cannot function in society, are locked away in a basement and are governed by idiots who have absolutely no idea what their job is or how to do it and feed off the backs of their talented subordinates.