A sketch - 'Spin'

Here goes:

INT: RESTAURANT. - NIGHT

FX:GENERAL RESTAURANT BACKGROUND NOISE.

SARAH AND JON ARE SITTING AT A TABLE SET FOR FOUR.

JON
I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.
SARAH
Relax. Jess is great. You’ll love her.
JON
That’s not the problem. She’s not going to be interested in me. Her last boyfriend was… What? A city trader? He had more houses than I’ve got… socks….
SARAH
Well, I have been meaning to speak to you about your lack of hosiery.
JON
It’s no joke….. I should leave now.
SARAH
Too late. She’s just taking off her coat.
JON
What am I going to say to her. What can we talk about? She’s a successful lawyer and I… I… Well, I work in a windowless laboratory, a nameless technician trying to genetically engineer the perfect hybrid form of all year round salad leaf with a peppery… spicy flavour…. easy on the eye and even easier on the taste buds. God, I’m boring myself.
SARAH
Don’t be so negative. You’re a great guy. Focus on the positives. You’re a doctor.
JON
I’m a doctor of philosophy. I can’t lie. I can’t base a fledgling relationship on an untruth. I’m sorry.
SARAH
I’m not saying lie. I’m saying… positive spin.
JON
That’s easy for you to say. You work for Tony Blair’s press office.

JESS JOINS THEM AT THE TABLE. JON STANDS UP NOISILY SCRAPING HIS CHAIR.

SARAH
Let me do the introductions. Jon, this is Jess, she’s a fabulously successful city lawyer.

JESS
Good to meet you Jon.
SARAH
This is Jon…. He’s a rocket scientist.

Great gag, Steveby, but too long a sketch. And I think you should say 'lettuce' where you've got 'salad leaf'. Also 'Doctor of Philosophy' is in the way and changing the direction, as is Tony Blair's Press Office.

Not bad, its got a good pay off, I agree with Charlie that it may be a little too long with unecessary padding. Also I know its your sketch but if I we're writing it I would make it that the woman 'Jess' is a 'brain surgeon'....therefore the pay off line 'He's a rocket scienist' would work even better, in my opinion. But yeah this is good. :) Keep it up.

Yeah! I liked the punchline Steve.

Thought that a lot of the other stuff read a wee bit more like a scene from a sitcom, so as already suggested I'd maybe think about getting the pruning shears out.

But LOL gag

Very good everyones covered it all, I loved the punchline :) awesome stuff pal

Thanks for the feedback chaps. A little bit of pruning required but I can live with that!