Questions for industry experts

If you've got any questions about comedy writing or the comedy industry you'd like answered by an experienced writer, commissioner, director or producer do post them here.

We've got a few interviews lined up with well known writers and producers for September time and will put your questions to them them. Alternatively maybe an experienced industry figure will spot your question here and answer straight away (we do get some well known names visiting).

I've just had a radio sitcom pilot returned from the Beeb with some useful/encouraging feedback but 'turn down' written at the bottom. Now that I've leant the hard way what they are looking for from a pilot (less character info, more plot (which I had all planned out but obviously failed to explain in synopsis)) are they likely to give it a second look if I present it differently? I still believe it has legs because they 'like the idea'. Or who else might be interested?

Hi Hedge,

I reckon you should try and revise it based on their suggestions - then get it looked over by a few trusted friends/contacts who are in the know about radio sitcoms... then send it back to the BBC.

If not, then you could try Channel 4 as they're branching out in the world of radio - although they may just be pure music stations and not ones catering for programmes.

Other than that, all I can suggest is to keep plugging away at it :)

BTW, I'm not an industry expert by any means, I just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth (or is that 2 pence worth? England )

Again, I'm not an industry expert either, but I agree with Kirk. Re-organise it a bit to make extra sure the emphasis is there (but obviously without neglecting characterisation completely).

It sounds from your post as if you sent (or they thought that you had sent) an introductory (ie series 1 episode 1/2) script. If this is the case, remember that the point of the pilot is to demonstrate what the show would actually be like, so it needs to really be a mid-/end-of-series type script.

(Apologies if my post seems condescending - I'm certainly not intending to be!)

Thanks people.
'Trusted friends'? ... Any friend would be nice! Preferably an industry expert too! (No offence - now you know why I have none)

According to the Beeb they won't look at redrafts so I'd suggest retitling it if you do send it in there again.

Does anyone have trouble getting feedback from London Beeb? I've had useful feedback from other Beeb regional departments with the same scripts but the London Beeb department, no hope.

I suspect that the London Beeb have never even heard of Wales, such is their narrow range of talent searching.

(That wasn't supposed to come across as bitter) :)

Just to say that I have had some really useful advice from an industry expert just by posting on another web forum (before I found this one of course). Be encouraged that there are some out there keeping an eye on us all. Hurrah for the www!

Hurrah indeed - and, of course, it was invented by an Englishman. :D

next question ... which of you guys wants to be my new best friend?