In The Loop Page 4

I tell a lie - I think they are on cook'd and bomb'd. Many happy memories - the house share sketch, the gangster

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 28 2009, 5:50 PM BST

His Radio One shows are also excellent - amazing Zoo Radio parodies which I think you can find on www.fistoffun.net

They were what he was best at to be honest.

...this is about Iannucci though.

:/ They have gone from both sites - glad I got them when I did. Would offer to upload them somewhere but would probably be breaking a million and one site rules - which is a shame as they will never be released and are really funny.
I miss Armando as a performer - he's very affable and amazing behind the camera but also capable of doing great comic turns - like Armando the Great Adult or the organ player in Lionel Nimrod's incredible world.

Finally got around to seeing this last night at the Ritzy in Brixton.

Yes, it's a very funny film, with a particularly great show stealing performance from the Jamie character. It's a film that will definitely bear repeated viewing to appreciate the nuances and that. There's a lot more 'stuff' in this than your average film, you know, words and the like. It is, however, not an especially cinematic film, and may be more enjoyable on the small screen. The DVD should be a decent seller.

Overall it's great that a film like this can exist alongside the likes of the Richard Curtis types of fillum. Which I find completely unappealing.

How good was this?!! Superb.

I don't know what I was expecting, as it's obviously a The Thick Of It special edition, but, given that's probably the best current sitcom, I thought this was especially funny. The inane giggling was only interrupted for the laugh out loud moments.

Quality. Recommended.

Dan

My only small quibble is that it's not very cinematic. Visually it's quite dull. Although everything else about it is spot on.

Quote: chipolata @ May 5 2009, 9:44 AM BST

My only small quibble is that it's not very cinematic. Visually it's quite dull. Although everything else about it is spot on.

I never noticed it. The camera work did make me feel a bit queasy at first, though.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 5 2009, 9:47 AM BST

I never noticed it. The camera work did make me feel a bit queasy at first, though.

I guess my point would be it feels like a TV special. Nothing wrong with that, but if you make a film you want to use the medium effectively. For example, Dr Strangelove is as impressive visually as it is with rgards to dialogue and acting.

(That said, it's still the best British comedy since Shaun of the Dead).

I know what you mean, chip.

However, I feel much better within myself having spent £8 seeing this 'TV Special' than wasted it on some special f/x-laden shitbucket.

:)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ May 5 2009, 10:18 AM BST

However, I feel much better within myself having spent £8 seeing this 'TV Special' than wasted it on some special f/x-laden shitbucket.

I'm with you on that, Dan.

I thought it was good but not superb. Mark Kermode on Simon Mayo's show was right. It runs out of steam after about 45 minutes.

Got the DVD of this as a Christmas present, so belatedly (and inexcusably) saw this film for the first time this afternoon. Thought it mostly excellent and very funny. A little momentarily weird to adapt to the fact that Ollie and Glenn were differently named characters, but soon got over that. Fortunately the UK ambassador to the UN was not named, so I could just presume it was actually meant to be Julius Nicholson (even thought I guess it wasn't).

Thought Tom Hollander was superb at this type of comedy and look forward to more of his new character ('The F**ker') on telly. Was lovely to see a bit of Jamie after missing him in the latest series. Though he was very good, as a massive Sopranos fan I couldn't quite adjust to James Gandolfini in this for some knuckle-headed reason (perhaps I don't have enough of an imagination). And wasn't the actor who played the bearded American politician the one who used to be in Roseanne as her gay boss or something? Or am I confused?

I thought that actually, for a comedy film, the movie didn't really drag at 140mins, which is probably in part due to the pacing of the TV series translating very well to screen. The plot wobbled a bit in the last 20 minutes, but never died.

Favourite line was from Tom Hollander's character to Malcolm in the hotel room... "Am I being tortured?".

(Mother thought it was superb, even if it was not her usual type of Christmas Day afternoon viewing. She made me turn over Catherine Tate tonight after 5 minutes.)

Difficult difficult lemon difficult.

(I only just saw the film too).

It was great, also found it weird that they all had different names, but I suppose I see why.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 25 2009, 11:16 PM GMT

I thought that actually, for a comedy film, the movie didn't really drag at 140mins...

Bloody hell! What cut did you see? 1hr 46mins I thought.

And, no, it's not the guy from Roseanne (after checking) but I did think it was Leon after you said it.

The 'willy banjo' stuff made me laugh uncontrollably, more than anything else.

Dan

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 25 2009, 11:16 PM GMT

Though he was very good, as a massive Sopranos fan I couldn't quite adjust to James Gandolfini in this for some knuckle-headed reason (perhaps I don't have enough of an imagination). And wasn't the actor who played the bearded American politician the one who used to be in Roseanne as her gay boss or something? Or am I confused?

It took me a couple of views to warm to the American characters. I did love the scene with the General and Karen Miller estimating the number of war dead on a childs adding machine.

I don't see Roseanne in David Rasche's imdb credits. "I can't stand to see a woman bleed from the mouth. It reminds me of that Country & Western music which I cannot abide." :D . . .