RIP Humphrey Lyttelton

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but sadly Humphrey Lyttelton has passed away. http://www.humphreylyttelton.com/

Lyttelton was the long running host of Radio 4 comedy panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

Not surprising, but still a bit of a shock. Good age though!

(And yes, this is the correct forum. :))

Quote: Aaron @ April 25 2008, 10:52 PM BST

Not surprising, but still a bit of a shock. Good age though!

Not for him it wasn't.

He was a proper legend, who ruled that show.

Boom boom.

I hadn't seen this.

Had he been ill?

Apparently Rob Brydon's been taking his place on the national tour.

What a shame. He was a genius and a fine musician.

R.I.P.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 25 2008, 11:06 PM BST

Apparently Rob Brydon's been taking his place on the national tour.

I didn't know Rob Brydon could play the trumpet.

Admittedly, I only discovered Humphrey, and ISIHAC, 2 or 3 years ago, when I bought my digital radio, but I really liked him. Being so used to T.V. comedy, which is so prejudiced against the over-50s, it was always a novelty for me to hear a much older person being so funny for once.

A great shame, but it's something I suppose you have to expect in your 80's. His timing and delivery was incredible. Sadly missed.

He also presented a jazz programme on Radio 2. He was a cantankerous old sod and his show was once introduced as containing 'smooth jazz'. He came on air and said "I don't know what 'smooth jazz' is but it certainly won't be played on this programme."

A sad day...

Don't know if ISIHAC should now continue. Without Humph it won't be the same. On the other hand it's a great show.

Samantha must be gushing (tears).

RIP

Classic ISIHAC on tomorrow, Radio 4 at midday.

Very sad news indeed. If ever there was a man who could deliver the double entendre with such aplomb then Humph was yer man.

Proof if it were needed that funny is not only the youngster's teritory. His timing was an object lesson for all those hoping to cut it as comedians. His real skill was in doing something that's not easy and making it seem totally effortless .

RIP Humph

And as this is a website devoted to comedy writing, an honorary mention please to Ian Pattinson, the man who for the last 10-15 years has been writing Humphrey's scripts.