Only When I Laugh Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ 20th April 2014, 4:17 PM BST

What a sadly short-sighted opinion. Programmes should be understood in the context of their original production, and it seems unlikely that the kind of braindead fools who'd be encouraged by racial remarks will be watching classic comedies on ITV3.

A round of applause to ITV, I say, for giving old programmes an airing and not being bound by over-sensitive media such as the BBC seem to be.

Is it the same with It Ain't Half Hot Mum. I didn't find that racist one bit but they show this. But I agree BBC needs to show classics like ITV. I wish ITV bought the rights to BBC classics.

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 21st April 2014, 5:59 PM BST

But I agree BBC needs to show classics like ITV. I wish ITV bought the rights to BBC classics.

To be fair, both have. Off the top of my head, between BBC Two and BBC Four, they've recently been showing Ever Decreasing Circles, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?, 'Allo 'Allo!, and Are You Being Served?.

Meanwhile ITV have shown Terry & June, The Two Ronnies and one or two others.

Quote: Aaron @ 21st April 2014, 6:08 PM BST

To be fair, both have. Off the top of my head, between BBC Two and BBC Four, they've recently been showing Ever Decreasing Circles, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?, 'Allo 'Allo!, and Are You Being Served?.

Meanwhile ITV have shown Terry & June, The Two Ronnies and one or two others.

But Gold don't show most of them, which is a shame and the only hope for some sitcoms getting repeats are ITV3 or BBC Two or BBC Four. Also Dad's Army has been on BBC Two.

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 21st April 2014, 6:32 PM BST

But Gold don't show most of them, which is a shame and the only hope for some sitcoms getting repeats are ITV3 or BBC Two or BBC Four. Also Dad's Army has been on BBC Two.

I think you meant Dad's Army hasn't been off BBC Two . . . seems that when they finish screening the series they go straight back to the start (usually the colour episodes, but the last run went back to the B&W).

Was in a ward for a few days recently and to pass the time I fondly remembered this decent low brow sitcom typical of ITV and of its age. The comedy opportunities in the sit were plentiful and it had one of the most apt sitcom titles ever.

If only they were like that in real life then hospitals would be far happier places to spend time. Everyone couldn't wait to get out as opposed to the patients in OWIL. Bowles and Bolam were a great combination and long live Gupta in the annals of sitcomdom. :) Happily remembered.

End of the 1st series and this is some fantastic stuff. I love all of the characters in this and episodes so far are brilliant, the episode where Figgis disguises himself as a doctor, and gets mistaken as a real doctor is some classic stuff, non stop laughing in that episode and the one where figgis overhears the doctor telling Gupte that his dog might not live much longer and Figgis thinks its him and didn't hear the dog bit and the strike episode is a classic too. I love it so far, love it.

Finished it! I really loved this series, really did, thought all the actors was excellent and the episodes was great. I much prefer this to Rising Damp,, as I didn't find Rising Damp funny to be honest! But this was excellent and would definitely recommend it to others

Quote: Wheel @ 30th December 2020, 3:03 PM

....................... as I didn't find Rising Damp funny to be honest!

:O

1980 E1 Whatever Happened to Gloria Robbins
An absolute joy. Art (vanishing) of wooing, art of sitcom writing and acting. Today acting may be done all series in... helmet (Mandalorian, Doom Patrol ).