Only When I Laugh Page 2

Pointless and weary show was this.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 28 2009, 11:52 PM BST

Pointless and weary show was this.

Are you saying it didn't influence your career choice?

Been watching repeats of this which are being shown on ITV3 at present.

A good cast and theme tune, but falls short in the way of humour. Still, worth watching for Bolam & Bowles alone..

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ September 25 2012, 7:11 PM BST

Been watching repeats of this which are being shown on ITV3 at present.

A good cast and theme tune, but falls short in the way of humour. Still, worth watching for Bolam & Bowles..

I always really liked this show. It went on too long and stretched the bounds of reality with the same three men being in hospital for that long, But as you say Bolam, Bowles and Richard Wilson were dream casting. Not in the league of Chappell's masterpiece 'Rising Damp' but likeable and amusing.

I've only seen the first couple of series. It is quite good, as long as you're not expecting anything too sophisticated. One ironic thing in it is that Richard Wilson's character has a dog in it called Victor. It is funny to hear Wilson go on about Victor all the time in one episode. What a coincidence, eh? I don't belieeeve it!

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 26 2008, 2:37 AM BST

Nah, fair enough. You've got me bang to rights, copper.

I'm W-R-O-N-G. Yes, I'm W-R-O-N-G. Yes, I know I am. I'm sure I am. I'm W-R-O-N-G.

lol.

At the time I liked it, haven't seen it since it was aired overhere in the 80s.

Does anyone know the name of the nurse who pushes Figgis into theatre in the opening credits of the show?

Only When I Laugh. Often givem the subtitle Not Very Often Then.

I'M H A P P Y, I'M H A P P Y

I have just complained to ITV about this show - it's a disgrace. This is what I put...
Dear Sir / Madam
I was disappointed and disgusted to see your show 'Only When I Laugh'. I do not know how your programmers feel this kind of content is acceptable. I found it quite racist. It reinforced stereotypes and took the mickey out of other races. (For example, the doctor - probably supposed to be of Indian/Pakistani origin - they made references to him arriving on a banana boat and they called him 'Gunga Din' in a disrespectful way). I feel you should remove this show from your schedule and stop making profit from such offensive shows. I can't see that programme makers would be 'allowed' to produce this nowadays, so why are you allowed broadcast it at all? I am concerned that some of the population will be encouraged by the show to feel that racist views are acceptable.

What a sadly short-sighted opinion. Programmes should be understood in the context of their original production, and it seems unlikely that the kind of braindead fools who'd be encouraged by racial remarks will be watching classic comedies on ITV3.

A round of applause to ITV, I say, for giving old programmes an airing and not being bound by over-sensitive media such as the BBC seem to be.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th April 2014, 4:17 PM BST

What a sadly short-sighted opinion. Programmes should be understood in the context of their original production, and it seems unlikely that the kind of braindead fools who'd be encouraged by racial remarks will be watching classic comedies on ITV3.

A round of applause to ITV, I say, for giving old programmes an airing and not being bound by over-sensitive media such as the BBC seem to be.

That.

Thanks for the tip by the way, I didn't know they're repeating it.

Quote: music person @ 20th April 2014, 2:20 PM BST

I have just complained to ITV about this show - it's a disgrace. This is what I put...
Dear Sir / Madam
I was disappointed and disgusted to see your show 'Only When I Laugh'. I do not know how your programmers feel this kind of content is acceptable. I found it quite racist. It reinforced stereotypes and took the mickey out of other races. (For example, the doctor - probably supposed to be of Indian/Pakistani origin - they made references to him arriving on a banana boat and they called him 'Gunga Din' in a disrespectful way). I feel you should remove this show from your schedule and stop making profit from such offensive shows. I can't see that programme makers would be 'allowed' to produce this nowadays, so why are you allowed broadcast it at all? I am concerned that some of the population will be encouraged by the show to feel that racist views are acceptable.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Nice way to make an introduction to the forum. :S

Quote: music person @ 20th April 2014, 2:20 PM BST

Dear Sir / Madam

This is a forum about comedy, why would anyone reading music person's post not take it as a gag?
Would anyone seriously discussing racial stereotypes use the term "take the mickey?"
Trying to get irony and sarcasm through on the interwebs can be a bit awkward at times.