Little Britain Page 5

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th March 2019, 8:25 PM

Samantha Power?

That's her! Cheers.

Incidentally, I was at Richard Herring's podcast with Matt Lucas, a lot of really insightful, and actually fairly regretful, comments about Little Britain, in terms of the way they portrayed trans people and a few other things that he admitted he wouldn't dream of doing now. But that he stands by the comedy as made at the time.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th March 2019, 10:23 AM

Incidentally, I was at Richard Herring's podcast with Matt Lucas, a lot of really insightful, and actually fairly regretful, comments about Little Britain, in terms of the way they portrayed trans people and a few other things that he admitted he wouldn't dream of doing now. But that he stands by the comedy as made at the time.

He's also said similar things on Twitter about the blackface in Come Fly With Me, it's nice to get someone to be understanding like that. A lot of comedians and comedy writers have died on those hills, but really it's helpful and easy to admit where you went wrong, and it will make your fans more comfortable to keep watching your stuff.

Strange really because it's not like it was decades ago.

Quote: jsg @ 15th March 2019, 11:47 AM

A lot of comedians and comedy writers have died on those hills.

We need a bugler. Especially round here.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th March 2019, 10:23 AM

He and Walliams would be, like most comedians, too frightened of the backlash rather than anything. Not because they actually care!

Quote: jsg @ 15th March 2019, 11:47 AM

He's also said similar things on Twitter about the blackface in Come Fly With Me, it's nice to get someone to be understanding like that. A lot of comedians and comedy writers have died on those hills, but really it's helpful and easy to admit where you went wrong, and it will make your fans more comfortable to keep watching your stuff.

It is a shame when any comic regrets a joke. I lose a lot of respect when they do this.

I disagree that "blacking-up" is offensive no matter what. You only have to speak to certain people of ethnic backgrounds to understand that it is more patronising than anything for the PC world to say how offensive it is to "black-up" - especially when there is context to it.

Nobody ever gets upset over "White Chicks" film.

The above is my opinion only. I respect that people of colour can and will be offended and I understand the concerns.

On the face of it (see what I did there?), there is no reason why blacking up should offend black people any more than greening up should offend Martians or blueing up should offend Smurfs.

I mean, does anybody seriously object to Olivier blacking up to play Othello? Or to Ben Kingsley browning up to play Gandhi? Yes, I know Ben Kingsley is partly Indian but he's 50% English and therefore far too white to play Gandhi without some cosmetic assistance.

The objection to blackface, I think, goes back to the days when it was only ever done by white performers who wanted to get laughs by holding stereotypical black people up to ridicule. But is it really much worse than wealthy performers dressing up as tramps in order to get laughs from audiences? Does anybody really object to the fact that many years ago, the second-richest man in America packed every cinema in the land by portraying a little tramp with a bowler hat, a moustache and a walking cane?

In any event, those days are gone and if somebody today wants to black up in order to play a black person whether seriously or hilariously, as long as neither the intent nor the effect is to ridicule black people in general, it's okay with me.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 9:31 PM

On the face of it (see what I did there?),

Yes........................ Sleepy

:D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2019, 11:48 PM

Yes........................ Sleepy

:D

I do my best, Herc - but they can't all be gems! Cool

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st March 2019, 12:04 AM

I do my best, Herc - but they can't all be gems! Cool

Oh, it's not the quality - I was commenting on the pointing out.....................it is noted. ;)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 9:31 PM

On the face of it (see what I did there?), there is no reason why blacking up should offend black people any more than greening up should offend Martians or blueing up should offend Smurfs.

I mean, does anybody seriously object to Olivier blacking up to play Othello? Or to Ben Kingsley browning up to play Gandhi? Yes, I know Ben Kingsley is partly Indian but he's 50% English and therefore far too white to play Gandhi without some cosmetic assistance.

The objection to blackface, I think, goes back to the days when it was only ever done by white performers who wanted to get laughs by holding stereotypical black people up to ridicule. But is it really much worse than wealthy performers dressing up as tramps in order to get laughs from audiences? Does anybody really object to the fact that many years ago, the second-richest man in America packed every cinema in the land by portraying a little tramp with a bowler hat, a moustache and a walking cane?

In any event, those days are gone and if somebody today wants to black up in order to play a black person whether seriously or hilariously, as long as neither the intent nor the effect is to ridicule black people in general, it's okay with me.

Little Britain would be viewed as such a far-right, hatrid sketch comedy now.

But f**% the haters - I still find it hilarious!

Why isn't Mollie Slocombe created for appearance on Little Britain on this site?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st July 2019, 10:35 PM

Why isn't Mollie Slocombe created for appearance on Little Britain on this site?

I don't quite understand what you're saying.