Harry Worth

hi (and sorry if I'm in the wrong forum),

I've wanting to get hold of some Harry Worth stuff on DVD. Now, as I'm sure you are aware, nothing has been released yet (if ever) other than a couple of episodes on VHS.

I have "My Name Is Harry Worth" which is a shoddy recording from UKGold some years ago. I also remember Granada Plus repeating some episodes of a different HW series which I didn't actually tape. Anyway, my point, they are still in existance.

So, short of asking here if anyone knows how to get a copy, I wondered if anyone would know who now owns the originals? I think they were produced by Thames Television. Does this automatically mean ITV Productions will now have them? I'm really just wanting to know who would be best to Email with regards to a DVD release.

Thank you.

T.

I had a quick look around and found nothing but a few referances here and there. You're best waiting for Aaron (site admin) to reply he'll know more than me on whether this is released and if not, if it will be released in the future.

And welcome to the forum Wave

Yes, hello indeed, welcome to the site.

Well. Erm. Most of his stuff seems to have been for the BBC. So you'd need to contact BBC Worldwide about that really, with 2 entertain (their DVD distribution arm) as second. Only three shows, Thirty Minutes Worth, My Name is Harry Worth, and How's Your Father? were on ITV, being Thames, Thames, and Yorkshire respectively.

For the Thames shows, you'll need to contact talkbackThames, and Yorkshire are now part of ITV plc, so they're the first point of call for How's Your Father?. Beyond that, Network seem to handle ITV's "classic" output almost exclusively (particularly Thames), so they'd be next.

Hope that that is of some help. :)

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll post back if I ever hear anything.

T.

The only item ever released was 2 episodes of My Name Is Harry Worth. It can sometimes be seen on ebay but has long since been discontinued.

The BBC does indeed have a lot of his work but unfortunately do not see it as viable to release it. I find it very strange that they do not even show any of his work even though he was one of the Beebs biggest stars of the 60's drawing audience figures comparable to Morcambe & Wise in later years.

Regards
Roy Baines
Harry Worth Biographer

From my experience, it's more likely to be that whoever owns the rights to his work (probably a family member) is refusing to let them release anything. Such a shame. My Name Is Harry Worth was a great series, and I'd love to be able to see more.

Hi
It is certainly not his family refusing permission - Quite the opposite in fact. No it is down to the TV companies not wanting to take a risk.

Really? They are very peculiar. I've heard of much less (IMO) interesting/'bankable' shows not coming out purely because of rights holders refusing permission, so that's quite surprising.

Of course, My Name Is Harry Worth is available to the avid collector, but it's not the same as making it available to the general public, and all the rest associated with proper releases, really.

I quite agree - There are lesser shows already released.
I have a lot of the TV & Radio shows still in existance collected mainly through writing his biography but there are still more to get hold of. Ah well -we will have to keep the pressure on - I certainly keep trying
Roy

I watched his shows first time around. He certainly pulled us in every week. And of course who could forget the opening credits with the shop window routine. Class! 'Worth' switching on just for that alone!

Quote: TonyT @ April 13 2008, 6:04 PM BST

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll post back if I ever hear anything.

T.

Harry's work is to be released on DVD later this year
Details at www.harryworth.co.uk

A pitiful amount, and pity it's not a sitcom, but it's a start.

Pre-order: https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=Worth

OnTuesday 20th July the British Comedy Society will pay tribute to Yorkshire-born comedy legend Harry Worth,the 21st anniversary of his death, by unveiling a blue commemorative plaque in his home-town of Barnsley. JIMMY CRICKET, an old friend who worked many times with Harry, has kindly agreed to pull the unveiling cord at 12 noon, at 47 Fitzwilliam Street, Hoyland Common where Harry was born on 20th November 1917.

After the ceremony a cold buffet will be available for only £5 per person at the nearby Hoyland Common Working Men's Club. There will be a pay bar for your liquid requirements. Lunches need to be pre-booked and paid for NO LATER THAN 15TH JULY, so please send your cheques to
John Gatenby,
Hon Treasurer BCS,
37 Langbourne Avenue,
London N6 6PS
without delay.

Pop the date in your diary now and join us to witness this historic event.

We do only need the one note, but thanks.