Comedy Sketchbook Page 2

This show was a good idea I think. Contained lots of great sketches that I may never have otherwise gotten around to seeing.

Did anyone catch it last night?

They showed the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch where they discuss how pregnancy occurs. Peter Cook is the father and Dudley Moore the son.

It's quite, quite hilarious. The setup lines and callbacks are executed perfectly. Marvellous writing. Makes me realise that my own writing is still lacking a lot!

I have just one gripe with the actual programme. The sketches shown were mostly filmed in 4:3 format, as was standard back in the day. The main part of the show, with Deayton, appears to be filmed in the modern 16:9 widescreen format. Therefore, to keep the sketches in a format which fill the screen, they’ve enlarged them and a drop in quality is evident! But hey, that’s the advance of technology for you. Is anyone still awake? Hello? Hello??

Yeah, watched it. That Pete and Dudley sketch was great. I also liked the Smith and Jones one where Mel caught his daughter and boyfriend in bed, congratulated them and then the boyfriend's parents came out of the wardrobe. Some good Hale and Pace sketches as well.

First time I watched it was last night. Actually really enjoyed it. :) I've seen a lot of the sketches before, but it's nice to relive them.

I liked the Big Train duck sketch.

Good show but I do wonder if Angus Deayton has any showbiz friends at all considering nobody seems to get off lightly.

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 8 2008, 10:03 PM BST

Good show but I do wonder if Angus Deayton has any showbiz friends at all considering nobody seems to get off lightly.

Not too many to write his gags

I want to know who writes his gags? Shit you could churn a couple of thousand of those out a day, just say anything and then drop a name in people will recognise, a lot of the time the comparisons don't even make much sense, just mention someone famous and the audience laugh (are they prompted or what?)

Quote: zooo @ May 8 2008, 7:17 PM BST

I liked the Big Train duck sketch.

Agreed. Big Train was just brilliant all round.

I'm enjoying this too. The Hale and Pace losing arm in a cow's arse was good.

Angus Deayton and about three other writers do the links for this show.

Is he still on crack?

Quote: ian_w @ May 9 2008, 4:20 PM BST

Is he still on crack?

Do Austrians interbreed?

Well at least that explains some of the jokes then!