Observer today article on satire

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/06/gordonbrown.itv

Interesting thought, is it true?

Yeah, I think it is true. I can't think of much mainstream media which has bite as regards satire.

They like to poke a bit of fun and show silly people are, but that's about it.

There are people doing great, biting satire however, check out Stewart Lee's first DVD.

And of course Brass Eye, Have I got news for you, that brilliant show I'm going to produce one day.

There's barely been any real political satire over the past decade. I have my theories...

Do tell. But you're right, theres been semi political (Brass Eye?), and game show style (Have I got news,) but not much true political satire.

What do you think?

Well, even from someone who wasn't around at the time and so is relying on 'highlights' and clip show type things, it strikes me that the 80s and early 90s were particularly rife with political satire (although I make no comment about its quality). And since the media (and comedians in general) are largely left or liberal, surprise surprise, as soon as Labour get into power (well, "anyone but the Tories" really), satire largely disappears - and what there is is mostly still attacking the Tories!

The odd individual person or situation in other parties have of course been hit, but not the 'institution' in the way that C/conservatives were, and are.

I've got no problem with satire, but variety is the spice of life etc. It's just so pathetically one-note.

Well where are the conservative satirists? For what it's worth as something of a lefty. I never tire of throwing brick bats, at the current stream of wankers in gouvernment.

I think a lot of left wing comics can't quite their heads around the double betrayal of new labour, and Respect. I swear a second cousin of mine was driven to an early grave by the way he was forced to campaign for Labour.

The PFI thing was unreconstructed Thatcherism.

I mean as a satirist all you can do is call them all a bunch of tossers, and sulk. Similarly in the States try finding a truly honest anti Iraq war candidate on either side.

Quote: sootyj @ April 7 2008, 8:01 PM BST

Well where are the conservative satirists?

Not being put on TV by a largely left/liberal controlled media. ;)

You reckon, you including ITV and Sky et al in that? I always saw them as very conservative.

I hadn't really even thought of Sky to be honest. Do they have any channels which would show that kind of thing? They tried a small selection of sitcoms and sketch shows on Sky One back around 2000/1, but that's about it.

As for ITV, what channel was Spitting Image on? What channel is Headcases on? Where did the present controller work before being poached? What types of people is their programming aimed at?

Well Headcases was almost exactly 50/50 gouvernment v opposition, and Spitting Image is sited as a major cause of Kinnock's downfall. Conversely I believe Thatcher was rather fond of her puppet (and it certainly helped her image as an iron lady, one of her strengths).

Certainly it's hard to have much fun with some one as media savy, and slick as Cameron. As a satirist I find the oafish Brown far easier.

As for the present controller of ITV he is what is known as a Voltaire's cushion

Didn't Maggie buy her puppet?

And didn't Hattersley go f**king mental when offered to buy his?

Or am I making that up entirely?

Yes she did. Hattersley famously has absolutely no sense of humour, and was enraged when HIGNY replaced him with a tub of lard.

Apparently he quite liked his portrayal in Spitting Image. It was a sign of having arrived, and made it to be pissed taken on that show.

Something I doubt they will say about Heads.

Quote: sootyj @ April 7 2008, 10:10 PM BST

Hattersley was enraged when HIGNY replaced him with a tub of lard.

I actually remember watching that on first broadcast, it was that funny. Inspired genius on so many levels.

Quote: sootyj @ April 7 2008, 10:10 PM BST

Something I doubt they will say about Heads.

Indeed, indeed. It just doesn't have the charm.

Yeh the puppets and the voices on SI were better. No one will ever do a better Royal family than they did. I mean Heads was alright, but Nick Cohen is so right about how they soft peddled the gouvernment.

Truly I think Maggie was quite funny, and in some ways quite self parodying. According to her speech writer, she'd persuade an adivser to pretend to be tired. So she could pretend to be working late.

Brown is just depressing, bullying, and not very competent. All that tax credit bull shit. Either charge poor people less tax, and give more benefits, or don't.