Autumn 2006 Line up

I've started to put together areas on the website for this autumn's new series. Links below. I know it's almost impossible to judge without having seen any of the episodes yet but what do you think looks like a hit and what's going to be a miss?!?

Personally I think "Dogtown" looks promising and, based on the comedy talent packed into "Jam and Jerusalem", that should be great. Then again IMHO Jennifer Saunders often manages to ruin things.

Plus new series for Extras and The Green Green Grass

As a fan of Leigh Francis' previous work, I'll probably enjoy Bo' in the USA. I'm also looking forward to the new series of Extras.

I'm in love with Jodi Albert, and the brothel idea is novel, if nothing else, so I'll give Respectable a go. Other then that, it's only I'm with Stupid that makes me excited, and I'm sure the 2 returning series will be very good.

I'm quite looking forward to Respectable and Not Going Out. The pilot for I'm With Stupid aggravated me immensely though, so I'm not holding too much hope there.
Pulling should be interesting, although as the guide says, there's not much to go on as yet.
Fear, Stress and Anger could be interesting, but it sounds like a number of other recent shows - perhaps particularly Home, or whatever it was called.
Lead Balloon I'm quite looking forward to as well. Jack Dee is very funny live, and I hope that comes across in this.

As for Bo', well that's not much funnier than cancer IMO. Dogtown... I think I agree with Mark. It has potential, but it also has a hell of a lot of negative potential too.

I went to a read-through of two episodes of Not Going Out, so I'll be interested in seeing it on the screen. I wonder how much has changed between the read through and the final edit?

What did you think? Any good?

I'm looking forward to

Jam And Jerusalem
Respectable
I'm With Stupid (Liked the pilot)

Fear, Stress and Anger
and
Dogtown both seem interesting so I'll give them a chance. Am not a fan of Avid so I doubt Bo In The USA will be to my taste and Pulling sounds dire. Not Going Out got me interested when Catherine Tate was going to star but now shes not I'll have to give it a try. Lead Balloon may be missed as I don't watch BBC4 and Jack Dee I can either take him or leave him. Am also looking forward to Extras series 2.

No doubt I'll end up watching them all at some point though.

Quote: Aaron @ August 24, 2006, 8:57 PM

What did you think? Any good?

A read-through was a new experience for me, which is why I'm so interested in seeing how it turns out with a set and all the trimmings - I couldn't make the recordings.

It was obvious that Lee Mack had come from a comedy background rather than an acting one as he fired off the one liners, but then, it was just a read-through so this was bound to be more obvious - there were no props, costumes etc. I saw middle episodes, so there was no setting up of characters either - I don't want to do Lee Mack a misjustice as perhaps he'll come across differently in the finished programmes.

?

The only one of these that I'm looking forward to is the second series of Extras. It has been a terrible year or so for British sitcoms and I can't see any of these shows turning things around - it's the usual mix of formulaic programmes with mediocre actors/actresses, vanity projects (a Bo Selecta sitcom - just what the world has been waiting for) and hoping that over the hill writers like Jennifer Saunders and John Sullivan will produce the goods.

I'm looking forward to Pulling because Sharon Horgans a good writer and was the only thing good about Broken News. She's funny in Annually Retentive to.

I look forward to Jack Dee aswell.

It's only a week or so until Extras 2! I am quite excited.

I love Jennifer Saunders, despite the iffy last series of French & Saunders, so I'll definitely give that a try. Actually, lets face it I'll give them all a try. I am an eternal optimist.

(Except Green Green Grass and Bo in the USA. No one's that optimistic.)

P.S. are you saying Sharon Horgan's in Anually Retentive? Who is she in it?

She's the female booker, who argues with Brydon every now and then.

Just seen the trailer for Lead Balloon, ooh i can't wait. I love Jack Dee.

Mark saw that last night and told me it didn't look too funny! Oh dear... Well, I'm waiting to see it on screen. :)