Nathan Barley Page 3

Quote: catskillz @ March 26, 2008, 10:16 PM

Iannucci is a big, big hero of mine. I thought his sketch show was brilliant, back in 2001.

I've met him actually, he's a nice man.

I think I was rude to him though due to my star-struckness.

I told him I thought his 'Shows' were the best thing he'd ever done. I made a tit of myself overall.

I'm ashamed to say I never saw this, I didn't even hear about it at the time - must have been living in a bubble or something. However, it sounds like something I would really enjoy, I love media satire.

Also I agree; Armando Iannucci is an inspiration. I didn't blink for a whole hour when Mark Lawson interviewed him, absolutely fascinating!

If there is a god of comedy, he is it.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 26, 2008, 10:20 PM

I've met him actually, he's a nice man.

I think I was rude to him though due to my star-struckness.

I told him I thought his 'Shows' were the best thing he'd ever done. I made a tit of myself overall.

Well, they say "Never meet your heroes", but usually that's meant to mean they'll disappoint you, of course.

In my few encounters with people I admire I often just end-up tongue-tied. When I had a one-on-one meeting with Ash Atalla some months back I can't really even remember what I said. I was just sitting there thinking, "I'm talking about comedy to the guy who produced 'The Office'!". Madness.

If only you'd thought realised that The Office is mediocre at best, you'd have been alright! ;)

I'm not taking the bait, Aaron. Laughing out loud

I agree with you lot Armando Iannucci is like a god or something.

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 27, 2008, 12:58 AM

Well, they say "Never meet your heroes", but usually that's meant to mean they'll disappoint you, of course.

In my few encounters with people I admire I often just end-up tongue-tied. When I had a one-on-one meeting with Ash Atalla some months back I can't really even remember what I said. I was just sitting there thinking, "I'm talking about comedy to the guy who produced 'The Office'!". Madness.

I met one of my proper idols - Frank Skinner - and he came across as a bit of a willy.

He was a touch rude, though I think even her realised and made some self-deprecating remark to cover his tracks.

I still think he's ace though.

Personally I loved it.

The DVD is worth purchasing for the cat in the barber store scene alone.

Or the "Bad To Have A Bad Uncle" song?

It is amazing that, considering this show technically 'bombed' in the ratings, it has somehow had a much longer 'after life' than almost any other modern sitcom I can think of (save perhaps Darkplace).

The other day I over-heard someone describe someone as a "right Nathan Barley media type" - everyone understood the description, but I don't think anyone in that circle had actually seen the show. Amazing it has managed to seep out into general culture like that.

To be fair, Charlie Brooker used Nathan for a good while before the TV show to identify a certain media type (in TV Go Home's series 'C*nt').

Also it's actually a high intensity show. There are lots of small references and jokes that give it a longevity.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ March 28 2008, 2:22 AM BST

Personally I loved it.

The DVD is worth purchasing for the cat in the barber store scene alone.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I don't understand why it was slated so much. It gets more and more current as time goes on, maybe it was before it's time. :P

It was actually quite out of date for it's time. It was satirising the Hoxton scene of the late 90's/early 00's.

I liked a few things in it.I think the DVD would have to be rather cheap for me to buy it. A friend of mine said the pilot episode on there is the best thing on it. Is this true?

Quote: Seefacts @ March 27 2008, 3:38 PM BST

I met one of my proper idols - Frank Skinner - and he came across as a bit of a willy.

He was a touch rude, though I think even her realised and made some self-deprecating remark to cover his tracks.

I still think he's ace though.

Meeting your idol is not always a great experience is it? A former work colleague of mine "met" Harry Enfield on a trip to the seaside. Both of them were with small children and my colleague saw HE drop something he was trying to get out of the boot of his car. He shouted "Now I don't think you wanted to do that did you" and HE turned round and told him to f**k off. My colleague turned in embarrassment while his kids laughed at the funny man with the red face! His misery was compounded when HE related this story in an interview a few months later but at least he had the good grace to apologise to the "guy who looked a tit in front of his kids!" :D