Sketch as a podcast

Hi,
Please have a listen to my sketch: 57 Varieties as a podcast. Comment if you be so kindly.
Thanks a lot. http://fredpeters.podbean.com/

Hi Fred,
As you know I really liked the script to this sketch but for some reason it doesn't come across as well on the podcast, some of the dialogue gets lost as it doesn't seem that clear.
I spose I'd always pictured the two as something like those Fry and Laurie characters with the "Damn Damn and double Damn". I don't know what you can do about the clarity issue in the podcast without getting some professional gear on the scene. I also think that this sketch might gain a lot with visual aspect for some reason.

I know that's not really very helpful but I can't quite put my finger on why I don't think the sketch has transferred that well, perhaps someone else might be able to put their finger on it.

That's nothing against the actual sketch as i said I think it's really good, perhaps just explore other routes?

Hi Tom,
I agree. To be honest it was all in one take and I could take more care with he recording of the voices and the audio editing. Thanks for the feedback -I personally think the podcast thing could work but only if the voices are clearer..

Hi Fred, yeah i think the fact that it been recorded in one take makes for a couple of awkward pauses which could be tidied up, but that's not a problem. How was it recorded exactly - mic and pc, mic and laptop? What software did you use to overlay the music? I think a bit of EQing could even help to sort-out the voices.

I think the music could be ditched to be honest and you could have more faith in the words which I found really funny (I hadn't read your script previously, sorry!)rather than a 'slicker' end product. You should change the name, too, 'cos you tell us the punchline before we've even downloaded.

I'm not happy with this reply 'cos all of those comments sound really negative, but i really enjoyed it! They're just small things really, easily tidied up if you chose to.

Excellent points, chaps. I recorded the silly voices onto an MP3 player (essentially a digital dictaphone), then put the audio track onto Audacity. I then added my own music and messed about with the audio, pitching voices up or down etc.I think the podcasts are a really enjoyable way to add another potential comedy string to your bow -I have a great laugh doing them.
You're right about the punchline and maybe the musci should be less intrusive. I will be going back to the podcasts and making them easier to hear the voices.
Thanks again.

I'm not sure the music was even intrusive from my point of view. I just think it's worth having the belief in your script and keeping it simple. Other people I'm sure would much prefer to hear music, it's just different preferences. You could easily get a 'restaurant atmosphere' track from a sound fx cd which could be put over it and may be quite effective.

I was thinking of investing in one of those digital dictaphones for projects much like 57 Varieties. I was wondering if you could tell me, did you use a separate mic or the 'built in' one on the machine itself? I've heard that those machines can be really effective if you get a half-decent mic plugged into them.

I've got Sony Soundforge for sound editing and it's really fantastic. I don't know Audacity - any good?

Hi Scott,
I used the built in mic on a rather quaint Archos AV140 MP3 player. I think it's as good as attaching a low quality external mic. I love Soundforge for samples, loop and audio editing. Audacity is very simple multi track audio editing software - not as good as Soundforge + Soundblaster for effects (e.g no distortion for guitar). Are your audio pieces on your blog (I'd love to hear them)?
Cheers now,
Fred

I didn't like the music and found it very distracting. Agree some "restaurant" background FX would be better, if you have any background noise at all.

Also listening to the podcast version I think it shows up that the sketch is (for me) too long. It might mean losing some of your favourite flowery lines but my bet is that getting to the punchline quicker will be the better option.

i agree with badge, i thought the music was very distacting in the background, the contrast between the camp sounding character and the butcher but posh character is really good, i liked the writen version and apart from the music which dosn't fit in i liked it
well done

NEW SIG TIME AGAIN

Quote: Fred Peters @ January 23, 2007, 8:43 PM

Audacity is very simple multi track audio editing software - not as good as Soundforge + Soundblaster for effects (e.g no distortion for guitar). Are your audio pieces on your blog (I'd love to hear them)?
Cheers now,
Fred

Hi Fred, no they're not on there but I might look to do it this week at some point. I haven't listened to them in ages and i bet they're useless now (they're about 2 years old). They tie-in with the whole Evil Office thing.