Celebrity Big Brother

I'm not a reality TV snob, and in the past have enjoyed quite a few reality shows, but I thought this years CBB was a washout and couldn't get into it. However, now racism and bullying have reared their ugly head (or three ugly heads) I find myself drawn to it again. I recognise it's deeply unedifying, and leaves me feeling dirty when I've watched a bit, but I find it strangely compelling. And the nastier it gets, the more watchable it is.

Big Brother made Jade and Big Brother can break her. Good.

From what I've seen, this so-called racism is nothing of the sort. Hate to seem racist myself (well, actually, I don't care), but whenever people from 'minorities' are insulted in any way, they scream the race card, and that seems to be what's happened here. I'm not a fan of the show so haven't really seen any, but from what I've seen and heard of the incident(s), the more accurate descriptors would be "stupidity", "bitchery", and typical, BB-esque backstabbing.

fair point Aaron, personally i hate big brother, i hate reality t.v shows altogether, like x factor, in my veiw it has contributed to ruining the christmas number one, i think Jade Goody was dropped from a charity that backs anti-bullying so some sort of bullying must be present in big brother, but all i can say is all reality t.v and this culture of "ring in and vote for" is ruining good entertainment. i have heard that this series has had a massiv dip in ratings, they are having the same debate on chortle

I haven't seen this show, but reading the below BBC article I would say that the woman in concern has a right to be upset. Maybe the comments have been taken out of context, but, going on the f**knuts involved, I doubt it.

Racist or ignorant, the behaviour of Goody and her moronic pals smacks of a cynical attempt to boost flagging ratings. They make a few dumb remarks about an Indian woman and, hey presto, the ratings shoot up. I'm not sure who is worse - Goody etc or the f**kwits who tune in to lap it up.

"Housemates Jade Goody, Danielle Lloyd and Jo O'Meara have been seen making fun of Bollywood star Shetty's accent.

On Monday night's episode, former S Club 7 star O'Meara reportedly suggested that Indians were thin because they were always ill as a result of undercooking their food. (actual quote: "they eat with their hands don't they? They must be sick all the time, no wonder they're all so bloody thin")

The trio also complained that Shetty had touched other housemates' food with her hands.

Former beauty queen Lloyd said: "You don't know where those hands have been."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6269953.stm

Jade's mum repeatedly calling Shilpa 'that Indian' hasn't helped. Silly cow.

Whatever is going on in there, the only way I'll ever watch that pile of s**te is if somebody has a gun to my head. Angry

Interestingly, in 'Little Britain' when Fat Fighters' Marjorie Daws picks on the asian woman Meira, Marjorie does exactly the same as Jade's gang does. She makes out she can't understand a word and keeps coming back with "come again?" before finally declaring that it was something about curry. And doesn't the world and its mother laugh along.

So here's the thing. If it's sooooo funny when Matt Lucas say it, why is everybody offended when Big Brother follows suit.

I guess at the end of the day Little Britain is a sketch show & Big Brother is a reality show..
It can be funny when done in jest, but most certainly not when meant.

I dont know if the Goody and her Gangbang are joking or meaningful because i havent watched it. I have only glanced at newspaper headlines. If these comments are meant then i hope that along with her fake exercise dvd, The Goody Monster ends up back in the scrap heap from whence she no doubt came.

However, i do think at the risk of being stoned, that this country has gone ridiculously PC, there are so many "isms" & "ists" its ridic.

The "detached irony" of comedy shows like Little Britain does enable them to say the unsayable. The theory goes something like this: the fact that the things should be unsayable makes them funny, and the joke is really on the character who has made the inappropriate remark. Whether or not this works depends on the quality of the writing and performing. In the case of BB2007, from what I have witnessed the characters are not generally being ironic, so there is not much of an excuse for the perpetrators.

While I would agree that the reaction to all this has been out of all proportion (there is more significant and aggressive racism every day in every part of the UK, but it isn't shown on TV or streamed on the web) it is a pretty good debate to fill news programmes/pages, and for that matter web forums. Oops.

Personally, I'm most disappointed in S Club Jo. That's fair comment, and not defamation of character.

However, I don't believe Jade is racist. Just thick. And that isn't only fair comment, but fact.

Quote: charley rance @ January 17, 2007, 10:23 PM

However, i do think at the risk of being stoned, that this country has gone ridiculously PC, there are so many "isms" & "ists" its ridic.

Quote: Badge @ January 17, 2007, 11:28 PM

...I don't believe Jade is racist. Just thick. And that isn't only fair comment, but fact.

Quite x 2.

20,000 phoned in to complain? Who gets the money from that?
Being at the sharp end of comedy - i.e. the one-liner - I often put my foot in it. Often it's because I don't know a new restriction has come into force. Avoiding causing offence is often to do with charm and good manners.
I heard someone say Jade's career is over. If Jade has a career all our careers are over. I don't believe we should celebrate stupidity. I only got one o level at school because I was gonna be in show business. As soon as I realised I sounded like an idiot and wrote like a stranger to the language I took steps to improve. I'm smarter than anybody now Incidentally, I would point everyone to an album Jermaine Jackson made in the early 1980s on which there's a track called 'If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful' (Look at track listings on Amazon, I don't know what the album's called) It's a duet with the still unknown Whitney Houston and is one of the best songs I've ever heard. In fact, I'm going up in the loft to look for it now. He's black.

Watching that vile dog Jade Goody on Big Brother last night, I suddenly remembered the last time I saw a rant like hers and that was when I watched Joe Pesci in 'Goodfellas'. Now I really must go and get a life.

o.k i have just forced myself to see a bit of big brother, and that Jade Goody was sat in some sort of chair that you'd find in a brothel (don't ask me how i would know that) and she was calling the bollywood actress Shilpa poppudom and Shilpa f**kawara, which to me seems racist, but i can honestly say what a shat show and i will for one never watch it again by the way, is it just me or does Goody look like doodles off of the tweenies?, actually no she looks like a bit of road kill. moan over

Quote: Charlie Adams @ January 18, 2007, 9:29 AM

20,000 phoned in to complain? Who gets the money from that?
Being at the sharp end of comedy - i.e. the one-liner - I often put my foot in it. Often it's because I don't know a new restriction has come into force. Avoiding causing offence is often to do with charm and good manners.
I heard someone say Jade's career is over. If Jade has a career all our careers are over. I don't believe we should celebrate stupidity. I only got one o level at school because I was gonna be in show business. As soon as I realised I sounded like an idiot and wrote like a stranger to the language I took steps to improve. I'm smarter than anybody now Incidentally, I would point everyone to an album Jermaine Jackson made in the early 1980s on which there's a track called 'If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful' (Look at track listings on Amazon, I don't know what the album's called) It's a duet with the still unknown Whitney Houston and is one of the best songs I've ever heard. In fact, I'm going up in the loft to look for it now. He's black.

*Applause* By the plentiful on the above comment................................

Regarding the weirdos that phone into this show.......
Stupid people will always spend a hard earned pound, putting what should be free, their two pennies worth. (look at catholicism, and they want 10%).....Lets no get started on religion tho Charlene.......

"Ello i is a dumbo. I know i is in a 1.00 a minute phone call but, i want to evict".......Sorry i pushed the wrong button.Derrrrrrrrrrr sorry ha ha let me start again..I want to evict"........(£10 later)

Line em up & shoot em all.
If that makes me a bitch, then hey guess what, i fooking am one..

The saddest thing on this green earth, is that we the British people, made that woman famous...
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Every day i turn to a small paragraph on page 23 of any newspaper and read about some girl was killed here, some lad was battered to death there. Some father was stabbed, some granny was mugged.
On pages 1-22 i get to see pictures of people i realy dont give a f**k about.
Posh spice is wearing this, Jade f**king ogly Goody is doing that. Yardey yarder yar........F**k the hell off.(God i wish i had tourettes)

The real heroes of this society are the people that no matter what, manage one way or another to survive. The person who rescues another for example...Sometimes at the cost of their own life....WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a f**king Hero

You know what, i know some of you will say "Dont buy the papers then"
F**k off....I buy them for the heroes on page 23...................

By the way, i am just about to sit through, for the 100th time "Raw"...Eddie Murphy. live on stage...Fookin Hillarious. Still after all this time....He is a fooking great comedian.I love him alongside Bill Hicks
Then i am going to listen to some of my all time fav music....A bit of Jimi Hendrix...He is probably the most talented guitarist, song writer ever, Oh and some Who.
After, maybe i will do some Tracey Chapman, and a dab of Joan Armatrading...My fav girly artists in the whole wide world...

Followed by a good Sidney poitier or Sam L Jackson or maybe i wll decide on a sprinkling of Al Pacino or Bobbie de niro or Jack Niicholson...

I LIKE WHAT I LIKE...F**k colour creed religion.........