Home To Roost & Duty Free

I THINK THESE TWO COMEDIES ARE VERY UNDERESTIMATED V FUNNY TO ME IN MY WORLD WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK??SOME GREAT ACTORS AND ERIC CHAPELL WHO I THINK IS A WRITING LEGEND PENNED DUTY FREE Wave

I've never seen either. I got Duty Free from the DVD rental site and 'saved it' for future viewing, but a friend told me it was rubbish, so I've not bothered. Is it worth watching?

HI RICK I THOUGHT IT WAS FUN SET IN SPAIN 2 MIDDLE AGED COUPLES MEET UP ONE LOOKING DOWN ON THE OTHER WITH KEITH BARRON TRYING TO HAVE IT AWAY WITH THE OTHER MANS WIFE.BIT OF A LAUGH GIVE IT A GO

I can't say I've seen Duty Free either, but I watched Home To Roost on its ITV3 run recently. It's one of those "inoffensive" ones. Kind of "homely" and relaxed. Nothing especially brilliant or cutting edge, but nothing that'll put your back up unless you're pre-determined to hate/be annoyed by it.

Paramount 2 have been playing Duty Free of late, so I've now managed to catch a couple of episodes. Not enough to make a proper judgement quite yet, but it doesn't look too bad. Having said that, I'm not sure that I'd buy the DVD.

Don't remember much about Home to Roost but enjoyed Duty Free although good - not great.

Keith Baron was married to Barbara ?(trampy woman from Heartbeat). First thing I saw her in and I think she made it really. Keith was trying to have a holiday affair with sexy posh wife (Joanna van Gyseghem)of another couple they met.

Worked OK for a while - 6 week series? - but they stretched it too far. I'm sure Benidorm got some ideas.

It was Gwen Taylor - if anyone's interested.

Home To Roost is very good. I could tell it was written by Eric Chappell as John Thaw's character, Henry Willows, is a bit Rigsby-esque IMO, when he is criticising his son Matthew.

Don't think Eric Chappell ever wrote a complete dud. Neither is an unmissable classic but both are entertaining.

No, I've always thought of him as the John Sullivan of ITV comedy.

I never got into Home To Roost, didn't make me laugh. I liked Duty Free, but it isn't in the same league as Chappel's classic sitcoms (Rising Damp, Only When I Laugh and the criminally underated The Bounder).

Home To Roost wasn't bad, but I think it took a bit to bed in properly. I do recommend giving it the chance if you can, but given your current opinion I wouldn't say to order the DVDs.

(Although all for series are available at TheHut.com for just £13.43.)

Thanks for the tip, but I really don't fancy it.

Eric Chappell also wrote that period comedy Haggard amd the Peter
Davison vehicle Fiddlers Three

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 17 2009, 7:07 AM BST

Eric Chappell also wrote ...and the Peter Davison vehicle Fiddlers Three

Which was actually a remake of his earlier The Squirrels, starring Ken Jones - probably Chappell's finest effort after Rising Damp.