Comedy Cuts

Nina Conti, good as ever.

Black gay, good start but fell flat at the end.

The Eden Project, not scathing enough!

Tourists on the escalator, spot on.

Tube, great. Really loved that one. (Westbound CDL at Monument?)

So pretty hit and miss, but I guess that's expected from this kind of show. At least it's good to see the format being tried with some amount of effort, BBC Three. Cough cough.

I liked Tom Basden! (near the end, playing the piano.)

I almost typed that one, but I wasn't really sure what to think of it. Manslaughter confession by song. Hmm. Not the worst sketch, I'll give him that anyway!

I properly liked the song!
Forget if it was funny or not. ;)

I imagine you sitting there on your sofa, laptop on your knees, smiling and clapping along gently to it.

Wrong?

There was no clapping.

But freakishly, the rest is exactly right.

Ah, well I did wonder about the clapping. But I can still picture it!

ITV2 should be praised highly for this show. It's a great format - basically give a whole load of people a short slot of time each, and see which shine.

They had each person's name appear on screen as they started. Am I right in thinking they didn't do that last series? I seem to remember being really annoyed trying to figure out who each act was.

I seem to be on a different wavelength to everyone else who watched the show. I had to turn off halfway through.

Is this comedy? Are these our brightest talents? There's nothing about them. Is this all we're capable of now, swearing our way through a programme because the material's no good. I despair, I really do.

All these classic shows people talk about, any swearing in those? Swearing can be fantastic in its right place, but swearing your way through half an hour just shows how bad your material is.

NB: Nina Conti does a great turn in the radio sitcom Clare In The Community but the stuff she writes herself that I've seen has been dismal.

Some of them are very successful comedians who've been around for a decade, some of them are brand new.

You can't have hated all of them, because they are not connected in any way except that they all happened to be on that show!

Judging from last series, some weeks won't work for you at all, but then the next week 20 different comics will be on and you'll love it.

I remember seeing that Australian, wine-drinking, Heavy Metal bloke, doing stand-up, on the Paramount channel, about 5 years ago, and he looked/dressed completely differently. He obviously adopted his present-day look, in an attempt to give himself more of an edge.

As for the show, I thought it was painfully poor.

Oh, I forgot, Count flipping Arthur Strong is back on it. I LOVE him.
I wish he had a whole show to himself.

I've heard of him before, but never seen or heard any of the material, nor knew anything of the character. Thought it was a bit poo, to be honest.

He is definitely an acquired taste!