Facebook Page 78

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2013, 1:51 PM BST

Pointless. Like most of Facebook, really.

I would like to defend Facebook.

I got FB years and years ago at University. I have a feeling I had to sign up with my uni email address and only people at certain unis could join. It was tres exclusive and I used it daily to communicate with friends.

Subsequently, they have let any kind of riff raff in. ;) That is why it is a Jeremy Kyle staple and my interest in it waned.

However, it is good for keeping up with people who you may not be in touch with otherwise. I have just arranged a meet up with the group I trekked across Costa Rica with in 2011. We wouldn't be in touch if it wasn't for FB.

Plus, I can nosey around other people's lives.

What I can't cope with is the ENDLESS baby photos. Maybe I am now at the stage of life. But it is bloody irritating.

I don't care if Molly has done her first poo in a potty. Please please please don't take a photo of the faeces and put it on Facebook, I was half way through my M&S salad Angry

True, I do keep up with several people only through Facebook. Basically I don't mind reading (some) of it, but I hate using it. I never post anything on there myself, because I don't trust it in the slightest. Not just the usual 'they'll steal my photos' stuff, but I don't trust it not to plaster every single thing I look at or click on all over everyone's walls.

I don't understand, Jennie. You can choose who to have on your friends list. That's how you make sure the riff raff and baby photos don't bother you.

Also even with people on your friends list, you can choose to hide their status updates if you have to have them on your list for "political" reasons.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ August 31 2013, 4:39 PM BST

I don't understand, Jennie. You can choose who to have on your friends list. That's how you make sure the riff raff and baby photos don't bother you.

Also even with people on your friends list, you can choose to hide their status updates if you have to have them on your list for "political" reasons.

I suspect like me she doesn't want to offend anyone. Plus half the time you agree to link with a friend and only after signing up do you find out they're serial baby gushers. Quite frankly it is very f**king irritating!

Quote: roscoff @ August 31 2013, 4:41 PM BST

I suspect like me she doesn't want to offend anyone. Plus half the time you agree to link with a friend and only after signing up do you find out they're serial baby gushers. Quite frankly it is very f**king irritating!

You're bang on Roscoff.

I accepted a friend request recently and her first post was practically a BNP advertisement. I'm not 100% sure on the 'unfriend' etiquette, I'll give it about a month and hope she doesn't notice.

Yeah, that's what the "Turn off updates from xxx" is for though. Makes your news feed much more pleasant without pissing anyone off.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 31 2013, 4:46 PM BST

You're bang on Roscoff.

I accepted a friend request recently and her first post was practically a BNP advertisement. I'm not 100% sure on the 'unfriend' etiquette, I'll give it about a month and hope she doesn't notice.

I've unfriended a few people for things like that. Idiots.

I mostly use Facebook for larking about with my mates and keeping in touch with a few family members.

Quote: sootyj @ August 31 2013, 3:19 PM BST

So how do you entertain yourself on a Saturday night Keewik

Time to put the blue face paint on

*Starts singing 'What's the use of wearing braces... Etc...' waits for Roscoff to join in*

Quote: keewik @ August 31 2013, 9:21 PM BST

*Starts singing 'What's the use of wearing braces... Etc...' waits for Roscoff to join in*

Spats and hats and boots with laces?

Happy now are you? ARE YOU?

Ben sings for us.

Got bored with his addictive homework I'll warrant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ54-lkcLw4

Has Facebook peaked?

I find myself posting less and less on there. The endless onslaught of urban myths and proud racism leave me rolling my eyes. Perhaps I just need a clear out of friends.

Quote: Ben @ 18th January 2014, 6:14 PM GMT

Has Facebook peaked?

I find myself posting less and less on there. The endless onslaught of urban myths and proud racism leave me rolling my eyes. Perhaps I just need a clear out of friends.

Facebook has a lot of bells and whistles, but we still don't see it coming and walk into it's nonchalant world of clap-trap.

The 'Create Secret Group' function is good. Secret Groups are good for work units to share stuff "privately". Some fellows even create secret groups so they can make surreptitious drinking plans to avoid looking like alcoholic losers - and to share content/comments that could upset wives and prudish workplace friends/colleagues.

I recently had some marathon work sessions so simply didn't log into Facebook for about six weeks. Quite liberating. Despite its many benefits, Facebook is essentially a time-waster (and a permanent electronic footprint of how time was wasted) if not used wisely. Chinese use QQ. Much simpler and equally nil privacy from government snooping. Not that 95% of people have anything worth prying on.

Facebook know all the sites I've looked at tonight. Car rental and Hotels in Kent.

Better be careful what else I look up.