Two In Clover

I got the DVD of every episode of Two In Clover (a Sid James and Victor Spinetti sitcom written by Vince Powell and Harry Driver) about six months back. I have watched every episode about 8 times, it is fantastic. Have any other users got the DVD or seen it and if so, what did they think of it?

Love it. Absolutely brilliant. So much more funny than The Good Life.

Interestingly, one of the episodes was copied pretty much entirely (line-for-line in some places) as an episode of the ITV sitcom Never The Twain 12+ years later. So that's what you get if Vince Powell writes on your show - recycled episodes of his own sitcom(s)!

In defence of Vince Powell and re-using material you have written in the first place I would point out the deal with the tv companies is usually for 2 years and then the material reverts back to you. We're not protected like song writers and episode fees are quite low in the first place. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I understand.

I said it very much with a wink, but yes, a good explanation. :)

It was classic, funnier than The Good Life and George And The Dragon, but not as funny as Bless This House.

If you watch George And The Dragon (which isn't great), then you will notice Vince Powell rewrote many episodes for other sitcoms, like Bless This House. Which episode of Two In Clover did Vince Powell copy for Never The Twain?

How can you say that George And The Dragon isn't great?! :O

Anyway, it's the one with the bank manager. TV.com tells me that's series 2, episode 2.

Thanks for that infomation. George And The Dragon rarely made me laugh, it just wasn't all that funny.

George And The Dragon 5/10, Bless This House 9/10, Two In Clover 10/10. I found it criminal only two series were made of Two In Clover, considering George And The Dragon had 4 and Bless This House 6.

Bless This House was great, but I found the final series dissapointing.

Ah well, fair enough. Definitely agree that Two in Clover should have had - or, perhaps, was worthy of - another series or two.

Bless This House I love, but I suppose I can see what you mean about series 6. It would have been interesting to see where it would have gone, and how much longer it would have lasted.

George and the Dragon is a real forgotten gem in my opinion, but again, I suppose I can appreciate that there are certain aspects of it which would not appeal.

Hi, any reason why Two In Clover DVD set is no longer available, and is selling for anywhere from 35 pounds or higher online? Why do DVDs go "out-of-print" so quickly?

I know, especially such a 'must own' one to fans of archive sitcoms as Two In Clover is. What a forgotten masterpiece.

Numerous factors. Distribution rights are extremely expensive. If sales haven't been particularly high, then the rights won't be renewed for another x years. They may not be bought for particularly long in the first place. Another company may have outbid them to buy rights for another x years. Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, dinnerladies and The New Statesman are all good examples of shows which have suddenly been re-released by a different distributor. Or it may be just as simple as sales have been so low that it is prohibitively expensive to make more.

Also, check out Disney DVDs. They release them for about 3 years, delete them, then release again a year or so later with new artwork. Great way of raising cash from the uber-fans.

In comparison to some shows I've seen in the past, I wouldn't call 4 years "so quickly" either. It's actually a pretty good run for such a little-known, old, somewhat niche show.

And I'm sure it's still available from some high street retailers. If you're hoping for a copy, vangogan, I can keep an eye out?

Yes, I would like a copy (i.e., legit issue, haha) as long as it's not prohibitively expensive.

Jack Parnell who wrote the very catchy theme tune to Two In Clover has died of cancer at the age of 87.

Ah, glad I came across this thread, I had no idea Two In Clover was supposed to be good, so that's worth knowing. Funnier than The Good Life I can envisage, but is it better? The Good Life is very good. It's also reminded me of my pledge to get Bless This House and watch it, yes I must get round to that !