Technical help needed

I would really appreciate some technical advice. At the moment I have a TV, a digi box and a DVD recorder. I have never been able to record a digital channel and watch another channel at the same time. I am thinking that I need to buy either a digi recorder or a new DVD recorder with a built in digi tuner. It is all so confusing and to make matters more complicated I have to wear hearing correctors so to go into a place like Currys and such like is an absolute nightmare. It is so loud in there I have to switch the correctors off and rely on lip reading the 12 year old assistants who end up looking at me as though I'm deranged. So I leave feeling very deaf, very stupid and very old.

I'm assuming you can get digital signals (due to the digi box), you need to get a Personal Digital Recorder (also Personal Video Recorder) [PDR/PVR] with a twin-tuner. The twin tuner is important as it can allow you to watch one thing whilst recording another. Basically it is a SkyPlus box without having to get Sky.

You can get them at dabs or anywhere on-line and won't have to go into a store.

Hope that helps

Dan

Thank you Dan that's really helpful.

I recommend the Top Up TV+ box. It has three tuners, so you can be recording two things at once AND watching another, or three things at once whilst watching one. I'd also recommend getting yourself a DVD recorder with a DVB (often referred to as just 'Freeview') tuner.

You may need to be careful when wiring up the equipment though, as some equipment can 'take over' the signal when on, forcing you to watch whatever's going through them. This is not the case with the Top Up TV+ box, but many DVD recorders are oh-so-helpful in doing this.

Yeah agree with Aaron, I've heard of them they sound pretty good.

I believe you can also buy Teavo or however it's spelt in the UK now, which looks pretty impressive.

TiVo. They shut down in the UK a few years ago, so I'd be surprised if they're back. I personally own a Top Up TV box though, and heartily endorse and recommend it. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is all really helpful, can I now be really cheeky and ask what is the difference between the two top up tv boxes currently available at Argos. One is £129.99 and one is £149.99, I've looked at the technical specs and I can't see the difference.

Big hugs to you all.

Looks like the more expensive one has a 1 month subscription to the top up TV thing. UK gold and all that

Good question. Erm. I can't see any difference. :S

Errr... Anyone?

Depending on how much you think you'll be wanting to keep/record/store at any one point, it may be worth spending a few less and getting the £99 version (160 GB hard drive rather than 250 GB).

Interesting that it says they're only twin tuners though. I swear mine has three. :S

Quote: ajp29 @ February 19, 2008, 11:43 AM

Looks like the more expensive one has a 1 month subscription to the top up TV thing. UK gold and all that

They all come with that - and oddly, it's the £129.99 one which lists it as a specific feature. The more expensive one does not! >_<

Off to get my Top Up TV+ Box.

Bye bye

Wave

:D

Quote: Aaron @ February 19, 2008, 11:45 AM

They all come with that - and oddly, it's the £129.99 one which lists it as a specific feature. The more expensive one does not! >_<

Thomson Top Up TV 250Gb Anytime Digital TV Recorder.

* dagger
* 532/1478
* Thomson Top Up TV 250Gb Anytime Digital TV Recorder.
* Connection and 1 months subcription free.
* £149.99*

>_<

I'm not seeing that... Anyway, like I said, they all come with the free month. :)

Wey hey I got a new shiney top up box. Even managed to set it up, that was really easy. Had a bit of a blip yesterday and consequently didn't get Hotel Babylon, user error (forgot to set it too standby I think). I can't believe how simple it is to just record stuff. I've been faffing about with DVDs and digi boxes and 27 cables and all I needed was this little black box.

Thankyou for the advice without it goodness knows what I'd have bought.

Enjoy! :)

(It is f**king great, isn't it?)