DVD Boxes

This might be the lamest ever thread (I can't be sure without checking all of Frankie Rage's threads) but what are people's favourite types of boxes? Personally I'm a fan of 20th Century Foxes video box sized cases that they used for MASH, Ally McBeal, Arrested Development etc. I wish all the DVD manufacturers would get together and agree on a single uniform box style, that way my shelves would look a damn sight neater.

Quote: chipolata @ February 14, 2008, 3:36 PM

This might be the lamest ever thread (I can't be sure without checking all of Frankie Rage's threads)

Laughing out loud

In answer, to the question, I don't really have a favourite. But the recent Hancock and Steptoe sets are sexalicious.

Whatever takes up least space on the shelf is best, something that most DVD issuers gradually seem to be understanding. I'm all for having anywhere from 2 to 10 discs in a single case (13mm to 25mm in width), rather than, say, a 5 disc set spread across five separate cases.

I notice boxes are getting thinner. Both 24 and The Sopranos have been reissued recently in super slmiline boxes, more Horne than the old fat bloated Corden boxes.

A number of distributors have cottoned onto the fact that the smaller the box, the more easily it - and more copies of it - can fit onto the shelf in HMV. I actually quite like the big boxes, but with a lack of space in my room, am fast coming around to the idea of smaller cases.

Quote: Aaron @ March 23 2009, 11:48 AM GMT

A number of distributors have cottoned onto the fact that the smaller the box, the more easily it - and more copies of it - can fit onto the shelf in HMV. I actually quite like the big boxes, but with a lack of space in my room, am fast coming around to the idea of smaller cases.

I guess the future's just downloadable content. Although I do like having something physical to hold and look at. ;)

I don't think that we'll see the end of physical media at any time soon (check out the music industry - far from digitised, and those are tiny files). Probably not withint our lifetimes. But there'll almost certainly be a shift towards that delivery method. The biggest hindrances are broadband networks (woefully inadequate) and DRM encryptions.

Quote: Aaron @ March 23 2009, 12:03 PM GMT

check out the music industry - far from digitised

Not sure I'd agree with this. It seems to me with dwindling CD sales, and downloads the increasing method people get their music, it seems physical media in music is becoming rarer. Sure, it will always exist, but far less than it does already.

Well, it's certainly moving to digital distribution, and faster than video is, but until record shops entirely disappear from the high street (and records from supermarket shelves) then there's still going to be a huge presence of physical media.

Ultimately, I think books are the only physical media that will survive. They're nice, books.

Quote: chipolata @ February 14 2008, 3:36 PM GMT

This might be the lamest ever thread

Quite possibily ;) I'm a bit worried it's cropped up... because, a bit like a dinner party winding down, it suggests that all interesting topics of conversation have been used up and it's time to clear up and everyone go home. ha ha.

It's not so much DVD boxes that I'm bothered about... it's the spine printing. There's nothing worse than distributors not bothering to line things up consistently on the packaging, so that when the series are put next to each other on the shelf, they don't look neat.

Just looking up at my shelves now I can see loads of mis-matched DVDs. For example, the Channel 4 logo on the Peep Show boxsets are all at a slightly different height; the One Foot In A Grave titles are all different heights; the age limit and distributor logos are in different orders on the HIGNFY DVDs. etc etc Grrr...

(Yes, I'm sad)

Yeah, cheers, Mark, turn the light off when you leave, night night. :)

Quote: Mark @ March 24 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

It's not so much DVD boxes that I'm bothered about... it's the spine printing. There's nothing worse than distributors not bothering to line things up consistently on the packaging, so that when the series are put next to each other on the shelf, they don't look neat.

I too hate irregular DVDs on the shelves. The latest Sopranos boxsets now have slimline cases that don't match my early chunky ones. It really is quite vexing.

Quote: Mark @ March 24 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

The most annoying one like that is for our Red Dwarf DVDs. They're meant to line up to make the logo, but a few aren't quite right. :$

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2009, 3:18 PM GMT

I too hate irregular DVDs on the shelves. The latest Sopranos boxsets now have slimline cases that don't match my early chunky ones. It really is quite vexing.

They did that with The Wire as well. *Note to self: No, don't get involved*

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ March 24 2009, 3:19 PM GMT

The most annoying one like that is for our Red Dwarf DVDs. They're meant to line up to make the logo, but a few aren't quite right. :$

Couldn't you take them out and fiddle with them till they line up, Robyn?