Only Fools and Horses DVDs Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ January 5, 2007, 11:31 PM

But in that case, why would it be cut? Hmmm.... Yes, odd anyway.

God knows. I have seen many re-runs on TV and bought some of the original videos and can't remember anything really offensive or worth cutting in a big way.

Can't vouch much for A Royal Flush. Only ever saw it a couple of times and it was a really bad episode. Perhaps it was cut simply because it was crap!
:(

That may well be the reason but it still seems strange that they wouldn't include both the original version and the cut version on the same disc. There was certainly enough room.

It still seems sad as well that they had to offer the DVDs for buy one get one free in order to encourage people to purchase them. Britain's Best Sitcom deserved more I feel.

Well whatever the reason for the cuts, its really got me thinking. Going to have to raid my friend's video collection and archives so I can watch some of them again (have long since got rid of my old copies).

Unless things have changed, I've never seen the point of buying 'Only Fools and Horses'DVDs. No extras on the discs means I might as well keep watching UK Gold.

The cuts made for DVD was nothing to do with so call racism, but because of licensing of certain background music/songs and a few lines were cut due to sentimental reasons ie a line is cut when refering to Grandad always being dead, other cuts are the criminal cut on Jolly Boys Outing of the nightclub singer, of which we lost a classic Trigger line and Pink Floyds Money and The Beatles Money songs have been replaced with stock music!! :(

Quote: maidenpriest @ April 21 2010, 7:06 PM BST

cut on Jolly Boys Outing of the nightclub singer, of which we lost a classic Trigger line

'What line was that then, Dave?'

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 21 2010, 9:27 PM BST

'What line was that then, Dave?'

We see Boycie, Mike and Trigger have arrived.
Boycie: "Hello Del"
Del: "It's good here, innit eh?"
Boycie: "Stunning"
Del: "Yeah, they got a magician, a singer and a comedian. The singer'll be on a minute!"
The singer sings a few more words then reacts to Del's line.
Boycie: "So where are you staying?"
Del: "Oh, we got a lovely little bed and breakfast, ain't we Rodney?"
Rodney: "Yeah, it's really good!"
Boycie: "Yes, well me, Mike and Alan booked into a hotel down on the front."

Trigger: "I got a room in a motel. They don't know I ain't got a car." (winks in a fooled 'em way)

Mike: "I'd keep quiet about that if I was you, Trig."
Trigger: "Not half."

This is just the Trigger part which is cut :(

On the subject of racist material being taken off the DVDs, I think this is a myth. I have recently been watching them and Del says the P word in 'The Russians are Coming' and 'Happy Returns' and Albert says it three times in the opening scene of 'Hole in One' and all is available on the DVDs, so seems unlikely anything has been left out on moral grounds? Yet there have been music cuts I believe in the opening series, I remember I think Pink Floyd's 'Money' being in the opening episode. This is substituted by the original theme-tune which frustratingly for me doesn't feature on my series 1 DVD, despite it being the theme tune for the first series.

The fact that bits were cut from the original episodes is the reason I've not bought them - same for The Young Ones from what I remember. I thought it was because of certain royalties the BBC would have to pay for which they didn't want to - so they just cut the "expensive" bits. Madness.

Yes that's annoying. But DVDs are the only way of feeding my addiction. Can't wait for repeats. :)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ February 11 2013, 11:36 AM GMT

Yes that's annoying. But DVDs are the only way of feeding my addiction. Can't wait for repeats. :)

But the repeats are heavily edited too.