Little Things That Make You Smile Page 42

Quote: zooo @ May 23 2012, 8:02 PM BST

Funny newspaper corrections.

Amusing as still grammatically incorrect regarding apostrophe!

Which one? They look right to me, or am I being blind...

The Saturday's (Saturday IS)

Nah, Saturday's is right.

Saturday's as in possessive case, surely?

Sorry to be a newbie-butt-er-in-ner.
(that is a word, I checked)

:D Yeh Saturdays cos Saturdays' is personal principle pronoun.

Saturday's is correct in the way they used it.

Quote: dellas @ May 27 2012, 2:38 PM BST

:D Yeh Saturdays cos Saturdays' is personal principle pronoun.

I do see what you're saying, but if you're replacing Saturday with It, then Its is correct. However, if you're naming it (as is the case in that story), then "Saturday's story" is the correct way to spell it. Possession after a pronoun is always done with apostrophe+S (but let's not get started with plurals in S and where the apostrophe goes - I'd get too carried away and be banned for being too boring).

For example, "Linda's skirt", or "her skirt".

*gets her coat*

;) Think I'll get me coat, and back out!! :)

Quote: dellas @ May 27 2012, 3:22 PM BST

;) Think I'll get me coat, and back out!! :)

Yes - it was correct as zooo said.

:) Bow to Zooo, always superior without malice!

Quote: Booo @ May 27 2012, 2:54 PM BST

I do see what you're saying, but if you're replacing Saturday with It, then Its is correct. However, if you're naming it (as is the case in that story), then "Saturday's story" is the correct way to spell it. Possession after a pronoun is always done with apostrophe+S (but let's not get started with plurals in S and where the apostrophe goes - I'd get too carried away and be banned for being too boring).

For example, "Linda's skirt", or "her skirt".

*gets her coat*

It's lovely to know there are people, so new to the site, that think getting 'too carried away' or 'being too boring' would be frowned upon here.

Quote: rwayne @ May 28 2012, 8:26 AM BST

It's lovely to know there are people, so new to the site, that think getting 'too carried away' or 'being too boring' would be frowned upon here.

I can't tell if you mean that or are joking. I'd never bore anyone with my geekiness about the English language - particularly when I'm not English. :P

I just like to mind my manners when on a new site, plenty of time to let the real 'me' come out. ;)

Quote: Booo @ May 28 2012, 4:21 PM BST

I just like to mind my manners when on a new site, plenty of time to let the real 'me' come out. ;)

Why the f**k should you be worried about manners on here? Are you stupid or what? None of the twats on here have got any.

Quote: Chappers @ May 28 2012, 10:47 PM BST

Are you stupid or what?

I don't think you've quite mastered the sentiments of the 'Little Things That Make You Smile' thread Chappers.

Chappers is correct in terms of nailing your colours to the mast though, we put up with all sorts of nutters on here - present company included. So let fly with the crazy, it's the only way to survive.