The Upper Hand Page 2

I've seen the show itself but just wondered what the actual DVDs themselves were like.

I wasn't sure whether or not to buy them as they came or wait for a box set, judging by the speed it's been coming out I wouldn't have to wait long to get one and might save a few quid.

Ah, I see. Well they'll just be usual Network fare. They don't restore any of the releases anymore (and it's not the oldest show they've released by any means, so probably wouldn't need to anyway) and don't tend to do much in the way of extras.

If they don't bother to restore them then I might wait for the box.

Be good if they got their grubby mitts on 2point4 Children though.

But very unlikely. The BBC really need to get real about costs and be more forthcoming with their archive.

Especially when you think of who pays for them to make the shows in the first place :)

I keep getting tempted to press 'buy' on The Upper Hand, but at around £11.99 a series I don't think it would be good to get them yet.

CD WOW! have Series 1 for £8.50. Pretty good for 2 discs, moreso if you get one of their 50p - £2 discount codes.

http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/upper-hand-series-1/dp/6655841

£8.50 is decent enough, can't find anything but expired codes at the minute though.

But still £8.50 :)

Quote: Aaron @ February 5 2008, 6:21 AM BST

I read something which suggested he does catering for a living now. Anyway, back to the show. I was never sure what to make of it. Really felt like it was just utterly painfully bad, but yet one of those that's strangely comforting and watchable.

Surprised nobody has started a thraed of football teams supported by sitcom characters, e.g Wolfie Smith was a Fulham fan, Alf Garnett liked the Hammers and Eddie in Bottom followed QPR Laughing out loud

Quote: Rob B @ February 5 2008, 6:18 PM BST

Do you find me supporting Tottenham funny? I find there are a number of Sitcoms which have been far better because the cast or writer has put in Tottenham references. 2 point 4 children, The Upper Hand. Gavin & Stacey was only watchable because of the Spurs references. And of course the best would be Just Good Friends.

PENNY:
For all you know I could have slept with the whole Tottenham Hotspur football team.

VINCE:
Well that would explain their recent form!

Tottenham have got to be good for something I suppose.

I finally acquired the boxed set and found a chance to watch.

I agree it is sort of comforting and watchable; I have been enjoying it. At least I have right up until I started Series 05. The scripts in this series are really dreadful, even compared to those of earlier seasons, most of which are merely mediocre.

That said, The Upper Hand is light years better than the American original. For reasons which now escape me, I saw every episode of that when it was being aired. Some of the scripts are pretty well the same stories so perhaps The Upper Hand is not really to blame.

In any case, nice to see another McGann brother. No idea what other things he's done but I think it's the male child actor who now works in a restaurant. That could be wrong information...not sure where I read it.

I hope for an improved Series 06.

Always good to see Diana Weston.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th July 2016, 10:50 AM BST

Always good to see Diana Weston.

She's Robert Lindsay's ex isn't she?

I haven't seen TUH since the 90s. I imagine that it's aged rather badly?

I watched some repeats recently. I still liked it!
Partly due to enjoying the nostalgia, obviously. But I don't think it's aged too badly.

Quote: zooo @ 10th July 2016, 5:31 PM BST

I watched some repeats recently. I still liked it!
Partly due to enjoying the nostalgia, obviously. But I don't think it's aged too badly.

Was McGann sporting a shiny tracksuit?

Totally.
And there are all the pale denim high-waisted jeans with white trainers you could wish for.