FLAT - My latest attempt at a TV sitcom. Page 2

Quote: James Williams @ January 29, 2008, 2:00 AM

I'll put it down to lack of sleep too - honestly, they *really are* distinct, with wholly different speech patterns and rhythms as well as points of view. Honest! I have made a distinct effort to make them so - and I really do believe they are.

I will not be so arrogant as to discount your critique... but I *really have* spent a lot of time ensuring the speech patterns are unique, and I think they are! The characters are in my head and by ep. 3 it's natural to me. I'll look over 'em again. Look out for later posts though and be ready to say what I could've done to make the characters more clear in this early scene.

It's too short to get a *real* handle on it, I suppose, and I won't spoil future critique by giving away my opinion on the voices. Hold total fire until a few scenes in.

Haha. O.k because I'm such a nice person, I'll give it another go tomorrow, after plenty of rest.

But I'm guessing you have lived with these characters for a long time and have the notes on their backgrounds and you can see individuals on the page. But as I read it tonight, if you removed some of the names, I'd have no idea who was talking and I know it's too soon to say that but it's my initial impression.

We'll see, we will see.

I want you to prove me wrong, for all our sakes.

I *know* these characters!

And you're probably right.

Test no. 1 of any script is the old: "Cover the names and tell me who's speaking". If you can't differentiate then hopefully this will be rectified a couple of scenes in - or by the time the prospective producer gets to page 10...

If not, I've failed, and need to reconsider.

Quote: James Williams @ January 29, 2008, 2:17 AM

If not, I've failed, and need to reconsider.

How about Cowboy? Yeehaw!!

I had too much to drink last night.

My head hurts.

I read it and it wasn't for me. Wasn't enough comedy or set-ups for my liking. I can see the comparisons with the likes of This Life though (I was never a fan). I always think it's difficult having so many people in one room because as a writer you're reluctant to leave one out of the conversation. But not everyone contributes to every conversation. Someone could be reading/moving about and contribute only when asked or when someone else leaves.

Four in a flat does seem rather a lot too.

OK, but do keep reading David, it would be interesting to read what you think as it progresses.

I'm not going to repeat other people, it was an ok script, but it didn't jump out of the page, The characters did seem a bit samey as well (I know you say they aren't but sorry it's how I read it).

Based on the title, I assume most of the action is set in the flat...

A hell of a lot of sitcoms are set in flats/houses - and they really have to have a twist to have some sort of originality - I don't mean to sound harsh being a mod I'm not really allowed to be, just incase you ever come to send this script off, I feel a lot needs to be done.

But yes please post more I'd like to see how it goes; it was only one scene at the end of the day.

I think the mobile phone stuff is laboured and the "Look, that one’s the on/off button, here, right next to the speakerphone button" set up for subsequent confusion a bit clunky.

Best.

Well, here's the next instalment:
CREDIT SEQUENCE - SCENE 2. STREET. EXT. DAY. (MONDAY)

DAVE CYCLING TO COURT.

SCENE 3. COURT. EXT. DAY. (MONDAY)

DAVE DISMOUNTS FROM HIS BIKE AND ENTERS COURT.

SCENE 4. COURT. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

DAVE ENTERS. REACTION WHEN HE SEES THE 2 SECURITY GUARDS AND AIRPORT-STYLE METAL DETECTOR ARCHWAY.

DAVE:
Hello!

SECURITY GUARD:
If you’d like to enter your pockets into the tray, sir.

DAVE GLANCES TO THE WALL, WHERE WE SEE A SIGN THAT SAYS: “NO RECORDING EQUIPMENT (INCLUDING CAMERAS AND AUDIO DEVICES) - MAXIMUM PENALTY 2 YEARS’ IMPRISONMENT”.

DAVE:
(UNDER BREATH) Bastard.
Is that bit optional? I don’t really, er… You know, I’ve got lots of bits and bobs in there - it’ll be a real hassle getting it all out.

SECURITY GUARD:
It’s the same rule for everyone, I’m afraid.

DAVE:
I’ll be back in just a sec.

DAVE EXITS.

SCENE 5. LIVING ROOM. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

JIM IS FINISHING OFF HIS DRINK. MATT IS ON THE FLOOR, UNDER A BLANKET, PLAYING ON THE X-BOX.

MATT:
Hadn’t you better be off looking at that story?

JIM:
Yes. Someone’s died, I can smell it.

MATT:
You’re sick, man.

JIM:
Small furry animals are good too. Little buggers shift mountains of newspapers. Poor sods - more useful dead than alive.

MATT:
I really don’t reckon it was much of an accident, Jim.

JIM:
Well I’m going to find out. Don’t go anywhere, will you? God, it’s like the Marie Celeste in here.

JIM LEAVES.

SCENE 6. COURT. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

DAVE ENTERS. MATT’S ‘PHONE IS VISIBLY POKING OUT OF THE TOP OF HIS SOCK.

DAVE EMPTIES HIS POCKETS AND PUTS THE BAG ON THE SIDE. HE THEN STRIDES CONFIDENTLY TOWARD THE X-RAY ARCH, BEFORE STOPPING IN FRONT OF IT. HE REALISES THAT THE PHONE WILL STILL SET OFF THE ALARM. WE SEE HIM PUZZLING WITH THIS CONUNDRUM.

SECURITY GUARD 2:
Sir, I think you have your ‘phone in your sock.

DAVE:
Do I?

SECURITY GUARD 2:
Yes. Just there.

DAVE:
Ah, yes. The, er, microwave signals, you hear so much about it – well, I’d rather my ankle was irradiated than my groin – you know, I might be needing those chappies. I probably won’t be needing my ankle for anything much.

DAVE TAKES OUT THE ‘PHONE

DAVE:
So, what happens next?

SECURITY GUARD:
Just walk through, sir.

DAVE WALKS THROUGH. THE GUARDS HAND HIM HIS ITEMS.

SECURITY GUARD 2:
Now remember to switch it off when you get into court.

DAVE:
Oh, right, I can have it, but just switched off! That’s clever.

SECURITY GUARD:
Yes.

DAVE ENTERS THE MAIN RECEPTION.

SECURITY GUARD 2:
What do you reckon he was then?

SECURITY GUARD:
I don’t know, but there’s a flasher up at twelve.

SCENE 7. LIVING ROOM. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

MATT IS ALONE IN THE ROOM, UNDER A BLANKET ON THE FLOOR.

MATT:
Where’s my big bag of weed? I had it around here somewhere.

WE SEE MATT LOOKING FURTIVELY AROUND.

MATT:
I guess I’ll have to make my own entertainment.

MATT FIDGETS UNDER HIS BLANKET, AND JUST AS HE STARTS TO FIDDLE WITH HIMSELF,

JIM ENTERS.

JIM:
What a waste of time. Just some kids setting fire to a bin. I was hoping for so much more. I need to ring Dave.

MATT:
Oi, knock, would you?

JIM:
I live here. You don’t pay any rent.

MATT:
I was trying to find my happy place.

JIM:
You couldn’t have done much worse than this room, could you?

MATT:
Metaphorically.

JIM:
Matt, I’m only going to tell you this once: don’t have a wank when I’m in the same room.

MATT:
Alright. I’m a man, aren’t I? I’ve got needs. And I’m having major problems with Abi at the moment, I don’t mind telling you.

JIM:
Don’t. What’s your telephone number? I should ring Dave before he gets into court.

MATT:
I don’t know, it’s a new number, isn’t it? Abi’s got it stored on her ‘phone though, I think.

JIM:
So what’s Abi’s number?

MATT:
I don’t know, do I? I’ve got it stored on my ‘phone.

JIM:
That’s bloody useful, isn’t it?

MATT:
No, it’s alright, I’ve got it on a bit of paper, look. Here. Hang on Jim, I need someone to talk to.

JIM:
Call the Samaritans. No, don’t even waste their time.

MATT:
I’ve got a big problem.

MATT LIFTS THE BLANKET – WHICH IS ‘STARCHED’ RIGID - AND SITS NEXT TO JIM.

MATT:
I think I’m going… (NODS TOWARDS GROIN) Impudent.

SCENE 8. COURT TOILET. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

DAVE IS STOOD AT A SINK IN FRONT OF A MIRROR. HE ROOTS IN THE BAG AND FINDS THE RAZOR. HE ROOTS AROUND IN THE BAG AND FISHES OUT A TRANSPARENT BAG FILLED WITH TOILETRIES.

DAVE:
God, Matt’s got everything in here. Change of clothes. Connect Four. Toothpaste, hair gel, ah – shaving foam. Excellent.

DAVE TAKES OUT THE FOAM AND PUTS THE BAG BACK. HE CONTINUES TO SHAVE.

TWO LAWYERS ENTER, DISCUSSING A CASE. THEY EYE DAVE GOOD-HUMOUREDLY, AND USE THE URINAL.

LAWYER 1:
…about a ten to one shot he would’ve got off with just a fine, but not with Judge Quentin.

LAWYER 2:
He did have four hundred and fifty marijuana plants growing in his back garden, Jack!

LAWYER 1:
He says his wife was growing them. Apparently he didn’t know anything about it.

LAWYER 2:
What did he think they were, nettles?

LAWYER 1:
It’s all very sad. His wife has MS. She needed the pain relief.

THE DUO MAKE TO WASH THEIR HANDS

LAWYER 2:
He must have been in on it!

DAVE HAS FINISHED SHAVING. HE RINSES HIS FACE, AND, EYES SQUINTED, FISHES IN THE BAG. HE REACHES OUT A DIFFERENT TRANSPARENT PLASTIC BAG FULL OF MARIJUANA, WITH RIZLA PAPERS AND A CIGARETTE LIGHTER CLEARLY ON DISPLAY. HE PICKS UP THE CANISTER OF SHAVING FOAM, PUTS IT IN, THEN RETURNS THE BAG TO THE SATCHEL. DAVE AND THE LAWYERS ARE OBLIVIOUS TO THE CONTENTS OF THE BAG.

LAWYER 1:
(HANDING DAVE SOME PAPER TOWELS) Here.
You haven’t seen Quentin in action before, have you?

LAWYER 2:
No, I don’t think I have.

LAWYER 1:
You’re in for a treat!

THE LAWYERS LEAVE.

DAVE:
Knock ‘em dead, Dave!

SCENE 9. LIVING ROOM. INT. DAY. (MONDAY)

SAME POSITIONS.

JIM:
You mean impotent.

MATT:
Yeah. The funny thing is, I don’t have a problem – you know, on my own, like. The problem comes when, you know, me and Abi fancy a bit of one-on-one. I get all excited, and then when the time comes, I can’t do it.

JIM:
I don’t want to know.

MATT:
I thought you might have some experience.

JIM:
Thanks. But I’m not helping you. I just had the best night’s sleep in months.

MATT:
I’ve identified the root cause already.

JIM:
Have you?

MATT:
I don’t know what to do about it. It’s been driving me mad, but I suppose it was obvious when I thought about it. Read my lips: voodoo dildo.

JIM:
President Bush’s speech writers weren’t a patch on you, were they? What do you mean, ‘voodoo dildo’? Are you hiding a bag somewhere that you just pick words out of?

MATT:
Don’t laugh, I’ve just heard myself, I know it sounds a bit loopy. My ex-girlfriend, right, I wanted to give her a romantic gift for her birthday coming up next month. And a little tip - a good place to look is the Innovations catalogue - they get all sorts of wicked stuff in there you won’t find in the shops.

JIM:
Glow-in-the-dark incontinence pads? Inflatable tea-cosy?

MATT:
Ah, shut up Jim. A personalised dildo. You put your Mr Man in the mould, pour on the plaster of Paris, and get a reproduction willy. It’s called a CopyCock.

JIM:
That is not a romantic gift, Matt.

MATT:
‘Course it is. It’s a comfort thing, like thinking that wherever she is in the whole world, on a cold, lonely night, she’d have my hand to hold.

JIM:
It’s not quite like that, is it?

MATT:
Anyway, I’m telling you, it’s all gone wrong. A week ago I finally told her about Abi. She went mental, like. Screaming about coming to get me and telling me I had to send all her stuff back. That’s part of the reason why I got a new ‘phone. But I posted all of her stuff back, and that’s roundabout when the problem started.
You see, I can’t find that copy of my penis anywhere – it must have been in the box I sent her.

JIM:
Wow, it was Christmas come early for her, wasn’t it?

MATT:
I think she’s using it as some kind of voodoo doll. She’s sapping my powers from me.

JIM:
What do you want me to do about it?

MATT:
I don’t know. But she’s mad, man. She’s got voodoo powers. She’s the dark side of the force and my light sabre’s on the line. We need to get my cock back.

I love the voodoo cock idea, I hope th episode is about getting it back but I suspect it isn't. That scene is excellent. I think that would make a great first scene to an episode; I mean, how could anyone turn off a show about a guy trying to get back what he believes to be a voodoo cock that's making him impotent.

Still not enough laughs in the rest of it, for me. I found the security guards stuff dragged on. And too many redundant lines in some scenes.

Oh and I reckon you could me much more brutal and exaggerated with the sarcastic lines - 'samaritans' etc.

'Are you hiding a bag somewhere that you just pick words out of?'

Great great line, very Boosh. I'd cut out the sentence immediately before it.

I think Jim should be slightly more exhasperated by Matt's nonsense, e.g. rather than:

'What do you want me to do about it?'

I think he'd just put his head in his hands in disbelief, then Matt would add:

'I'm telling you, she's got voodoo powers...'

Also, 'Impotent' gag really didn't work for me.

Quote: Paul W @ January 29, 2008, 10:47 AM

Based on the title, I assume most of the action is set in the flat...

A hell of a lot of sitcoms are set in flats/houses - and they really have to have a twist to have some sort of originality - I don't mean to sound harsh being a mod I'm not really allowed to be, just incase you ever come to send this script off, I feel a lot needs to be done.

Just thought I'd point out that you mentioned this quite a few times, I've picked up on it because you mentioned it in critiquing my sitcom. What I've learnt since joining this site, the most important thing in sitcom, is not the situation, but the character(s) and whilst your point is adding a new twist to an old situation is a good one, I cannot see the problem setting a sitcom in a flat. It's a valid situation, and reflects exactly what most people would recognise.

If James writes it well enough, the flat should become a character within it's self. He's aiming for realism here, where else are these people supposed to live or work, in The Office?

Sorry to hijack your thread for a moment there.

I'm with you all the way Leevil. Take 'Not Going Out': nothing original about its premise or its situation. Just great gags.

I've read more of the scenes and excuse the pun but I agree with Paul W, it reads flat. You seem like you're trying to force jokes into it and it doesn't work. It's got to be seamless and flow.

Maybe some of the cult shows go for this sort of dialogue, I don't know, I don't tend to watch many of them. But in terms of a classy top rated sitcom with distinctive characters, it is sadly lacking.

Quote: David H @ January 29, 2008, 1:12 PM

I've read more of the scenes and excuse the pun but I agree with Paul W, it reads flat. You seem like you're trying to force jokes into it and it doesn't work. It's got to be seamless and flow.

Maybe some of the cult shows go for this sort of dialogue, I don't know, I don't tend to watch many of them. But in terms of a classy top rated sitcom with distinctive characters, it is sadly lacking.

I have to say, I don't really think this is fair crit! What jokes seem 'forced'? In what way are the characters not distinct?

I have to agree with Leevil about the sit.; it's the natural world for so many characters to inhabit. I think it's wrong to artificially insert some alternate setting to satisfy originality of locale. Besides, the action seldom centres on the flat; this episode it focusses on shenanigans at court.

"Not Going Out" it isn't, of course: I'm aware of how immensely popular it is on this forum, but I'm obviously going for a completely different style. Ironically, I've focussed on characterisation and plot, with jokes arising naturally from them, all of which have been negatively critiqued!!

James,

Still hasn't sparked into life for me, I'm afraid.

You say you know your characters but do you actually know whether what they're saying is meant to be humourous as I'm having trouble recognising the humour. Sorry.

IMHO it appears to be more a comedy-drama rather than a sit-com though missing out on the comedy at the mo.

I can only laud the fact that you have put so much hard work in to the piece but I think I need to see more before going one way or t'other on it.

I await the next installment.