Rab C Nesbitt Page 3

I'd been really looking forward to this special from the moment I found out that one was being made. Having watched the entire series again quite recently, I must admit I was pretty disappointed with it.
I was a bit mystified as to why they kept harping on about Burney after so many years when they could have concentrated more on Rab and Mary as grandparents. It was good to see that Jamesie and Ella hadn't changed too much though.

Blimey, there's a new series of this starting on BBC2 next week. Thursday nights. They've snuck that in without too much hoo-ha.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 12 2010, 3:04 PM GMT

Blimey, there's a new series of this starting on BBC2 next week. Thursday nights. They've snuck that in without too much hoo-ha.

NEXT WEEK????? What date does it start? Cannae Wait! :D

Quote: Danny @ January 12 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

NEXT WEEK????? What date does it start? Cannae Wait! :D

It starts Thursday 21st at 9.30pm on BBC2. Sandwiched inbetween new Mock the Week and Bellamy's People (the TV version of Radio 4's Down The Line).

Surprised nobody's posted about this yet.

I dunno - Rab without booze? But Rab IS booze personified, it's what marks him out, surely? The drink was what gave Rab his strength, his spunk. Tonight he felt like a Govan tiger with its Buckfast-stained teeth torn out. Where were the rants that made Rab the smelly, swallee-addled, drinking class hero that he once was? Even his vest looked too clean. In fact that puzzled me - if Rab's cleaned his act up so much, how come he's still wearing the same suit and vest and grubby bandage around his head?

I suppose it has been ten years and if you were looking at Rab as a real man in the real world a decade on, he'd be either dead from cirrhosis or got sober. But Rab C's world was never set in this universe so those rules don't apply in my opinion. Rab needs to fall off the wagon in a big way.

Jamesie was still funny though.

Ian Pattison has my respect. I enjoyed this the most of the three comedy shows on BBC2 tonight.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 21 2010, 11:52 PM GMT

Ian Pattison has my respect.

Agreed, he's a fine, intelligent, funny writer. This serving of Rab just seemed a little too sombre though. I'm sure the new "feel" will grow on me though. :)

I found last night's episode to be an average opener for a new series. Hopefully, it will improve next week.

I've seen every episode of Rab C Nesbitt even from the first time round. One of my all time fave sitcoms. Probably cos it was Scottish and had great scots slang words and it was popular when I was growing up even if I was a bit young to watch it when it started. lol

It will take a while to get used to Andrew Fairlie not playing Gash but other than that dosen't seem that different.

What happened to the Two Way's pub? I know it wasn't in the Christmas 2008 special but I don't think it was explained. The one they were in the first epiosde of this series looked a bit like the pub from Still Game.

Comedian Kevin Bridges making another appareance on a Scottish sitcom since Gary Tank Commander.

It was an OK episode and I'd say Jamesie trying to get his leg over on that Hungarian woman Verag was the funniest bit. Hope it does get better though as I hate when they bring somethig back and it's not as good anymore.

I thought the opening episode was great. Really enjoyed it. Jamesie had the best comedy moments. Looking forward to future episodes.

It will take a while to get used to Andrew Fairlie not playing Gash but other than that dosen't seem that different.

Agree.

Other than that, a fairly "average" opener. Did we all have high hopes after the past glory that Rab brought to the box? ... or are we struggling to adapt to the new feel to a modern Nesbit household??

Was it just me, or did Ella look younger?? lol

Hmm.

I'm really hoping this new series improves because I was very disappointed with the opener. Like many othes here, I've been a big fan of Rab C since it started, but I'm thinking that bringing him back after so long was a mistake.

I loved it!

Laughed all the way through, and I thought the script was stronger than previous series.

Jamsie was on top form, seeing him wheeling the bed through the park, I nearly choked laughing. And the wee lassie 'I've got a Da', get that up ye!' was brilliant.

I recognised the guy living in the lift, can't remember his name though. Ella at the bus stop. etc etc.

And yes, Ella looked much younger, so did Elaine C Smith though.

I quite liked Rab being sober, and him and Marie Doll on the park bench getting torn into the flake was soooo sweet. Ahhhh.

I will be watching them all.

Quote: AngieBaby @ January 28 2010, 9:06 PM GMT

I recognised the guy living in the lift, can't remember his name though.

Kevin Bridges.

Cheers James,

I suppose with that name you've got to be a fan ;)