Laurel and Hardy Page 7

Like a lot of people, I prefer the black-and-white - part of the charm.
When I was a kid, my mother said the cartoon version was an insult to the originals. I remember 'cos it's the only smart thing she's ever said.

It's "colourising".

Quote: Chappers @ 11th January 2015, 5:43 PM GMT

It's "colourising".

And yet at the end of last September you were picking me up on that very word :P - life moves on. ;)

Laurel And Hardy still do it for me all these years later. Their films were a vital part of my childhood and they've stayed with me ever since. It's testament to their talent that both of my kids love their stuff to pieces. I'd even say their material transcends the subjective nature of comedy and that anyone who can sit through stuff like The Music Box, Fraternally Yours or Busy Bodies and not crack a smile must have some sort of deficiency.

A lot of comedy doesn't travel time wise, but these two's work will forever remain very, very funny.

Not seen a top 10 best comedy actors list, without these two in. Laurel normally in the #1 spot, but then he was from Lancaster, UK. Also demonstrates that a comedy duo doesn't need a straight man.

In my view, they were great, because they were excellent character actors first, rather than comedians first. But few actors can do comedy, hence why their talent is so rare. What do you think ?
?

I don't think either was traditionally "Funny". It was the situations and expressions and what happened to them without actually acting funny.

Don't entirely agree with that as Stan wrote some brilliant scripts both dialogue and situation. Combine that with two people who were natural comedic actors and you have something rare - timeless comedy of which those two were masters.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 1st April 2015, 7:24 PM BST

Not seen a top 10 best comedy actors list, without these two in. Laurel normally in the #1 spot, but then he was from Lancaster, UK. Also demonstrates that a comedy duo doesn't need a straight man.

In my view, they were great, because they were excellent character actors first, rather than comedians first. But few actors can do comedy, hence why their talent is so rare. What do you think ?
?

Er, actually Stan Laurel was not from Lancaster per se. But from Ulverston, which was then in in the County of Lancashire.
Today with redrawn county borders Ulverston is in County of Cumbria.
I'm being pedantic, I know.
Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd April 2015, 9:41 AM BST

Don't entirely agree with that as Stan wrote some brilliant scripts both dialogue and situation. Combine that with two people who were natural comedic actors and you have something rare - timeless comedy of which those two were masters.

Glad to find a fellow connoisseur in you regards all things Laurel and Hardy. They were magnificent.

Recently watched 'Way out west' again.
On crossing the river Olly twice steps into the deep hole in the river bed. (beginning of the movie and at the very end)
Right there, I could recall two other outings of that gag.
Captain Mainwaring at the beach and Vicar of Dibley down a puddle.

Stan and Olly were pretty much the pioneers of much film gaggery and have been bountifully mined for gags ever since.

To me they're pretty much the Wright Brothers of comedy.

I was watching some clips on YouTube the other day. Brilliantly written, filmed and acted and still very funny....''hard boiled eggs and nuts!'

Quote: Will Cam @ 16th June 2015, 3:47 PM BST

I was watching some clips on YouTube the other day. Brilliantly written, filmed and acted and still very funny....''hard boiled eggs and nuts!'

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

"County Hospital"

Love the bit where the doctor grabs the weight off Stan and falls out of the window with it. Absolutely hilarious.

Some bits are so memorable and funny that they stay with you forever and still make you laugh just thinking of them.

There's one where they have sneaked off to join the masons parade when told not to by their wives.
Ollie says he will tell Stans wife he smokes if he rats him up about going.
As Stan's wife is interrogating him Ollie is in the background doing smoking motions and says 'Go ahead Stanley - tell her'
Stan cracks under pressure and tells the whole story

Meanwhile Ollie has a look on his face that says 'blown'

You don't mean the Sons of the Desert? They were more like the Shriners than the Masons.

EDIT: It would appear that Shriners are types of Masons anyway. Just pedantry on my part...

What was the one that had the scene where they were with their wives in an apartment where there was some subterfuge going on and at one point the door bell rings, sort of explodes, flies across the room and hits Ollie on the head?

Smiling now when I think of it.

I think there was also something about a kid annoyingly playing with a ball in the corridor, but I maybe getting two different ones mixed up.

One of my all time favourite clips

http://youtu.be/V42dsOvYvyQ